Savage 4 graphic crash

Guest Scott Clinton

Guest Scott Clinton

I am still having the same problem I had with the demo.

If I hit escape or ALT-Tab to multitask in WIN98 the graphics of CM go all to hell, but only IN a scenario. The main menus are fine.

I have to shut down CM and re-enter for it to work again.

I have a Savage4 32meg PCI card, the latest drivers and DX7.0a

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Scott,

Some other people, me included, had this problem with the demo. I noticed it during an icq pbem game and after I used the esc key to minimize the graphics flickered and scrolling was very slow. There is an alternate way to minimize I think it's alt-tab? I haven't had this problem on the full version.

Dan

Guest Scott Clinton

I am running at 32bits color.

It crashes the graphics whether I hit escape or alt-tab. Makes no difference which one is used.

I can post a screen shot of the 'mess' after I get home if anyone thinks it will really help...

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Big Time Software

Actually CM uses 16-bit color, so you might want to try forcing your monitor to 16-bit and see if that helps.

Charles

Guest Scott Clinton

Thanks Charles but this did not help.

I will try reinstalling my drivers and direct again (third time).

You do realize that this HAS to be your fault don't you (Charles)? I mean Microsoft and 3d card manufacturers never releases anything with bugs. wink.gif

------------------

Guest Scott Clinton

I just tried the S4 drivers...they continue to crash WIN98 on my PC.

The only drivers I can get to work are the Creative drivers dated 11/23/99 and they work splendidly with everything, except CM.

frown.gif

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

I realize this is drastic, but maybe do a reinstall of Windows? This has worked for a few people here on the board.

Charles

Guest Scott Clinton

Yeah, a little too drastic that is more likely to 'break' more than it fixes IMO.

But frankly I don't see how this would help considering CM is the only program with which I have this problem.

------------------

Well, if you only get this problem when you ALT-Tab/Esc out of CM back to the desktop and then back again... Don't switch out of CM.

I don't know how well other 3D games handle swapping from the game and back to the desktop. It seems that the S3 drivers just aren't doing a good job with their 3D video memory management of the VRAM (or something to that effect).

Guest Scott Clinton

Schrullenhaft:

Not a solution. It makes it very cumbersome to play an email/ICQ game. I have to completely shutdown CM with every email sent (three shutdowns for every two turns-?).

Not to mention I makes it impossible for me to take more than a single screen print per action phase. I have to exit CM to paste the screen print, right?

It does not happen with "Theif" or "Theif Gold" nor did it happen in the demos of "Halflife", "Quake II" or any of the other 3d games I have tried...just CM.

------------------

Scott you are lucky! My savage4 card runs great in everything but CM as well, except that when I play CM I can play 5mins to 1 hour then the game freezes (with no errors) forcing me to hit escape.

Then the game just closes and puts me back on my desktop, no errors messages. I have tried creative's new drivers, updated my system hardware drivers to no avail. confused.gif

Seems like I got in Kinda late on this one.

But, I have been playing CM on the SAVAGE 4, 32MB card with no problems. I posted a link for the drivers I'm using. I am also running

S3 tweak for the chipsets in the card. It can also be down loaded from this site.

I have my tweaks set to use "tripple buffer", and "wait for V sync" disabled.

I am slightly overclocking the card.

There is also alot of other good tools on this site. By the way, I beleive the site is run by the UK, however I live and purchased my card in the US. These drivers work good for me. Hope this helps.

http://www.s3p.co.uk/

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Guest Scott Clinton

I assume you are the one I just sent to the Creative site via email...

It should not make a difference but my S4 is the PCI version.

But, if I was you I would NOT assume it is your graphics card that is causing the problems.

Check ALL your drivers. I have heard that a few people have been having problems with older "MS Intellimouse" drivers. Now, I have a ""MS Intellimouse" and have not had a lick of problems (but then again I always keep my drivers up to date wink.gif ).

Check your sound card. What do you have? You may even try disabling the sound card (and rebooting of course). If the game does not crash, they you at least know its your sound card. Kinda hard to try this with your vid. card though wink.gif

There is a bios update for the S4 chip... But it is not for the Creative card specifally, but for the chip itself. I have no plans on flashing my bios with this because NONE of the reference drivers from the chip maker have ever worked on my Dell, only the Creative drivers work worth a damn for me.

Good luck! smile.gif

------------------

Hey, Savage 4 owners.

You may want to check out this link too.

I don't know how to fix any of your problems.

All I can do is tell you what I'm doing. I have had ZERO problems running CM with my Creative Savage 4 32MB card.

http://www.s3.com/customer_caretechnical_supportS3_Graphic_AcceleratorsSavage4_%28395%29.htm

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

Guest Scott Clinton

Thanks Def,

But these are the "manufacturer's drivers" I was speaking about (the first link that is).

S3 makes the chip set, Creative makes the card and Dell made my PC wink.gif

...and every damn one of them has thier own set of drivers 'cause they tweak the chipset. The S3 reference drivers kill my video entirely, I can't even get 32bit colar or res above 800x640 with them, its pitiful.

The second link is where the 11/23/99 drivers are at that I am using now.

Thanks anyway. smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 07-07-2000).]

Damn. Sorry Scott, I know it has to be frustrating.

The only thing I can think of is yours is a PCI card, and mine is the AGP version.

I don't think it's a card problem though, the Savage 4 card has very stable drivers and I have played many top of the line 3D game with it very smoothley.

I think it's a driver problem with some other hardware inside your Dell.

Keep fidgeting and tweaking and i'm sure you will get it worked out. Good luck.

P.S Try to contact Creative and Dell techies who can maybe point you in the right direction.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thepow:

I too am beginning to think the culprit may indeed be the sound card after all. DirectX shows 2 drivers not certified by MS. 1 from the Yamaha sound card and 1 from the Savage4 video card. I wonder...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. This is a very good possiblity. I have a sucky sound blaster 16 card, and if there is any glitches at all when I run the game it's with sound. It get's kind of sticky and stutterey after playing for a couple hours or so. Only during the orders phase when I navigate around the 3D map. Once I hit the "GO!" button, everything is smooth again.

But never a crash.

------------------

Well, I still have lock-ups with CM only. I think maybe I need to remove the sound card and try that. I have tried all of the drivers at the S3 (thanks Scott) web site to no avail. I would really love to play the game~ confused.gif!

I have a yamaha opl3 sound card that may be the cause after all. I post my results afterwards. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it smile.gif

CRAP!!! I pulled out the sound card, made sure all the drivers were gone and still I have the game locking up on me! confused.gif

Any suggestions?

System Configuration:

AMD K-6 333 o/c to 350

128mb RAM

Creative Savage4 32mb video w/latest drivers

Matsonic ALI aladdin Super7 w/latest drivers

Realtek 10mb network card w/latest drivers

HP 8x4x32 CDRW

Creative 36x CD

I have tried tweaked drivers, regular drivers from various web sites. They all have the same result-lock-up with ESC being my only exit to the desktop with no error messages. WTF?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thepow:

CRAP!!! I pulled out the sound card, made sure all the drivers were gone and still I have the game locking up on me! confused.gif

Any suggestions?

WTF? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried a different mouse?

Or mouse driver?

CM seems finicky about mouse settings too.

------------------