Savage 4 graphic crash

Guest Scott Clinton

I have been playing the v1.00 Demo for a couple of months non-stop now wink.gif I have a PCI Savage 4, Pentium Celery 400 and I Alt-Tab every time I play and I have had NO crashes at all,so maybe there is more to this than just the video card?

At last count I had played the demo 227,382 times wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Milt Smegma (edited 07-21-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

Milt:

Can you tell me...

Do you have the Creative Labs card?

What drivers are you using?

Thanks.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I have tried soo many different drivers and setups now I have gray hair! I even got lockups when I tried playing 640x480 with no Direct3d and no DirectDraw. I just am at a complete loss and will be reinstalling my system today or tomorrow frown.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thepow - hopefully a clean install will help find the root cause of your problems.

Are you going to be reformatting the drive or are you just going to install over your current copy of Windows ? To be honest it is probably best to reinstall Windows from scratch. If you have the hard disk space and a reformat is too drastic there is another way. You could rename your current Windows directory to "winold" and then reinstall to a different directory ("windows" - when you install it will likely detect "winold" as the directory to install to). When you've got your drivers all installed and updated then install CM before anything else and see how things run. If, after experimenting, you haven't found a solution then you can just delete your current Windows directory and rename your Winold directory back to Windows and you should be ok.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-21-2000).]

I did a complete format and reinstalled win98 se. Have had very little lockups since then. I am using Mr F's S3 SavageGlide Drivers with no hiccups. Also I have been using DirectX6.1a instead of 7. I continue to test out the system though.

Thanks again for all the help smile.gif

DEF BUNGIS I can't remember where I got the experimental drivers at but if you want I can post them on a web site or email them directly to you, zipped up. Let me know.

Good News! I bought a new Mainboard and CPU. Installed everything and loaded CM. Everything went perfect, had my first full graphics game! YEAHOO!

My system configuration:

EPOX MB w/AMD K6-2 500Mhz

128mb RAM

Creative Savage4 32mb Video

Sound Blaster 16 ISA

Standard mouse w/wheel

HP 8x4x32 CDRW

Toshiba 32x CD

Seagate 1.2GB HD

Fujitsu 4.3GB HD

Realtec PCI network card (for Cable modem)

Game runs greeeaaat!!! I very happy now!

It all cost me about $200.00! I used parts from my old system and pieced the new one with old stuff too.

Looks like you got yourself a fairly decent system there dude.

I have the same sound card, it's not the greatest card around but it runs CM just fine.

No need to send me the drivers for the savage 4 chipset, i'm done tweaking and messing around with those damn things. Besides, I am very satisified with the overall performance of my savage 4 card. It's by no means the fastest card around, but It delivers more power for the buck than any other card on the market. So no thick fog in CM is not going to bother me much.

So now that you got your system up lets get A PBEM game going! Let me know.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all