Someone clue me in how to use assault boats

I am playing a scenario using assault boats. Have to admit, in my memory, I don't ever remember using them and it shows. I landed a couple of platoons across a river and now want to get the boats back to pick up round two. But the move command is disabled? Not sure what is going on. Are they one time use? Are they "grounded" and maybe I have to push them back in to the water? I've already wasted a 60 second turn trying to get the damn things to work and can't afford to waste another. Any help appreciated.

GenSplatton,

I have little hands on experience with them, and it was with CMBO, but I do know that for them to move they must be crewed. Believe the capacity is something like a squad plus a team, so if you need to make more than one trip to move the troops, be sure to leave a team aboard. If not, one way trip!

Regards,

John Kettler

I am playing a scenario using assault boats. Have to admit, in my memory, I don't ever remember using them and it shows. I landed a couple of platoons across a river and now want to get the boats back to pick up round two.

Assault boats in CM are not coded for multiple lifts, a fact you will soon find out if you haven't already.

As mentioned, in order to move them they require a unit to be on board at all times, even though their own unit screen lists a crew.

The other thing is that they do not have a reverse option. This, coupled with the fact that the boats needs to be grounded in order to unload (units will not disembark when the boats is in the water) means the boats will have to first turn 180 degrees around while still on land before you can send them back to the far shore.

You will be lucky if you can complete the turn around / cross / embark / turn around again and cross again process in under 10 turns.

Assault boats in CM are not coded for multiple lifts, a fact you will soon find out if you haven't already.

As mentioned, in order to move them they require a unit to be on board at all times, even though their own unit screen lists a crew.

The other thing is that they do not have a reverse option. This, coupled with the fact that the boats needs to be grounded in order to unload (units will not disembark when the boats is in the water) means the boats will have to first turn 180 degrees around while still on land before you can send them back to the far shore.

You will be lucky if you can complete the turn around / cross / embark / turn around again and cross again process in under 10 turns.

That's what I sort of figured after watching the painfully slow first crossing. Lesson learned. My other platoon is just going to have to hoof it I reckon. But I probably wasted a good four minutes or so positioning them where I did for their 2nd crossing. No wait, I mean I have them kept well in reserve! Yea that's it!!

Thanks all...

I recently made a scenario in CMAK, modified for France 1940, which was to simulate a German river crossing against the French. When I determined the units I allocated one sharpshooter for each boat to bring the boats back. This works quite well, as the boat can take a sharpshooter and another unit, though it may be only one mortar.

I encountered two problems. Firstly, as already mentioned, it takes about 3-4 moves to turn a boat around to return to the other bank and then it needs to turn again!

The second problem was with a second assault boat unit appearing as reinforcements. They were supposed to appear on the river bank close to a mined bridge (representing a damaged bridge to be repaired by engineers as part of the scenario). The boats, presumably handled by the AI as vehicles, preferred to be on a road, e.g. the mined bridge! So I laid a track alongside the river, which worked well, until in one test a HT was on the track. This meant that the platoon leader's boat appeared on the road near the bridge and took 5 turns before it got to the river, by which time the platoon units had been routed!

After all the development the scenario was fun to play though.