Nvidia OpenGL Driver - ERROR 14?

• 2 weeks later...

Adding my experience here. I, too, have had the "error 14" crash. It is a rare occurrance, but once it happens, it will continue to happen until I reboot my machine.

I am running Vista64, Ultimate edition. 8800GTX card with 182.06 drivers. (I am running RivaTuner v2.22 for fan control: the latest, v2.24, requires an INF file tweak to allow it to coexist with the lates nvidia 185.85 driver, hence no updated drivers for me.) My video card is at stock settings, for whatever that's worth.

It seems like a lot of us with this issue are running a version of Vista 64 whilst operating a video card based on the 88 series; true?

Again, this issue is rare for me, and it is reliably cured by a reboot.

Thanks,

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

As an update...

We had a few testers reporting the occasional OpenGL 14 error along with you guys. Charles has no idea what the problem is because it's apparently a very random low level hardware/driver problem. These problems are nearly impossible for us to detect so we have to just wait for someone else to fix the problem :( A predictable bug, like mouse click driver bug with certain ATI cards, might have a viable workaround even if it is suboptimal (again, like the mouse click problem).

The only good news I can possibly offer is that none of our testers have reported this problem in a while. Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) + latest nVidia drivers appears to have fixed the problem.

nVidia's 186.18 was just released 2 days ago. If you don't have that please give it a shot.

Thanks!

Steve

• 1 month later...

The situation is very bad. I'm stick with 1.82.50 NVidia drivers because more recent releases have introduced a lot of new bugs. I installed SP2 but CMSF still crashes. I see that other players have similar problems, and if I understand well not only NVidia graphical cards are involved. I miss CMSF :(

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure what the consistency of the OpenGL Error 14 was. It may have depended on the the particular video card, OS (and its patch level) and the driver version. Interestingly a number of the people in this thread who had the problem either had an international version of Windows Vista or the 64-bit version. It may have just been an issue with have a Service Pack 2 release for the particular language or a bug that manifests itself a bit more often with the 64-bit drivers.

One problem that is still current with the 190 series driver is a lighting bug. Night time/dusk scenarios will have unrealistic lighting effects that are fairly annoying. If you stick with the 186.18 driver, you should be OK, but all of the 190 series seems to still have this problem.