z-Bee CMSF Mod Manager Released!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have vista, but its the 32 bit version.

I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling and see if that does anything.

One thing thats strange is when I open it it says "Read-Only this database has been opened read-only. you can only change data in linked tables." Is that how it should be?

Also, where do I go within access to "trust" the program? Or is that only for the full version (since I dled the runtime). And would the enabling macros do anything to solve this sort of error, and if so where do I go to change that? The Access runtime is just very barebones so I have no idea how to change settings without any sort of toolbar.

I'm really excited to get this working, it looks like a great program. I'm just starting to get into Shock Force and love how mods improve a game (was big into the original CM1s).

Thanks again for the help.

@007 5th,

I had that problem at first to, but was able to create a local copy of the database and then it would be ok. Not sure what i did anymore :(

However with the newest version provided by Seabee, this problem didn't show up anymore. However, activating mods doesnt work. Already informed Seabea of this (runtime error).

I'm interested if it will work on Vista 32 Bit. Try to create a local copy of the database (save as orsomething I think). Then try to activate a mod and see if it turns up in your Z folder. If it does, my problem is 64bit. If it doesnt, perhaps it's a Vista problem.

Ill be home later, perhaps I can find out what I did to avoid the read only thingie.

GL

007 5th,

So is that working for you now?

With the runtime version of access, you can't go into the security options. The problem is actually my fault, because access runtime requires me, the programmer, to have my project digitally signed. I'm not too hot on having to pay to do that. It's a pain, but I guess it's because of all the jerkfaces out there who write harmful programs. I will look into why the file has to be on the desktop to work in vista...

LethaFace,

I've been reading up on vista 64 and there are some differences, although I have yet to put my finger on what exactly it doesn't like about the mod manager. I'm still looking into it. There are so many things it could be.

To all,

The mod manager really is a small file, but I packaged it into an installer because it relies on references to certain files that must be installed and registered. There's no way for me to know who has what dll files installed, so the installer is supposed to do that for you. Also, I have XP so it's hard for me to get it to work on vista, much less the 64 bit version without being able to test it. I did read something about how the paths are different, so that may actually be one of the problems. If you guys REALLY want it to work, you could download Access 2007 and use it free for 60 days. With the full version, you can see all the code and everything, and you can check if those referenced files are actually the problem.

I really didn't want this to happen :(, but I would really love anyone who actually wants to use my creation to be able to use it. If anyone else knows anything about this, please, let me know.

I'll post again when I know more.

These files are referenced by the mod manager. Make sure you have these files.

stdole - 2.0- C:\WINDOWS\System32\stdole2.tlb

DAO - 12.0- C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\ACEDAO.DLL

Scripting - 1.0- C:\WINDOWS\system32\scrrun.dll

ADODB - 2.8- C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msado15.dll

As far as it working on the desktop... vista has a different file structure. More on that here... http://www.effisols.com/vista/

We'll figure it out. I just need some more info.

My newest issue is that when I attempt to activate a mod it gets a "excecution of this application has stopped due to a run-time error" and crashes

These are my paths:

"C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\CMSFMods"

"C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Data\z"

I wish I could tell you more about whats going wrong on my end but honestly I don't really understand the stuff, just like playing CM lol.

@007 5th,

Same problem here, so I guess its a Vista problem.

@Seebea,

I'll try to install access this weekend or next week, ill let you know.

Cheers for the help :)

EDIT:

The file structure is lil different in 64bit, apart from vista even. All files you mentioned are in the same location; only they are in the x86 program folder. The /windows paths you mentioned are correct also on Vista x64

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\ACEDAO.dll

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\ado

Saunders1953,

I'm feeling much better, but now my girlfriend has it :(. She's miserable and is now under my care. I've delayed release due to these vista errors, but I assume since it works great on xp, it'll work fine for the other xp users. Maybe I'll just post it and say "for xp only".

007 5th,

It seems to have this problem in vista and vista 64. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the problem myself. ;)

LethaFace,

Thanks. Don't go too much out of your way, it may get a little more complex, but if you do download access 2007, it may help to figure out what the problem is. I really appreciate your help though. I hope we can get this fixed for you, or make a special vista version or something, because I would hate to see all of your troubleshooting go to waste.

OK guys, it looks like vista has some problems copying files without full administrative priviledges. Since you guys are mainly having problems "Activating" the mods (which means copying the mods to the z folder), there may be a solution. Turn off UAC (user account control). This will give you more admin priveledges. Some people have reported that they were not able to copy files without this turned off.

Here's how: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Warning!: doing this may result in less security, according to the site. But it's worth a try. You can always go back.

Let me know if that works for you guys.

It seems similar to a Vista issue which another person reported. I'm not sure how or why but if you allow CMSF to be default installed by Vista, certain issues with reading files occurs. If you choose to install CMSF in another location like off the root directory of the hard drive, the reading files issue disappears. It seems the underlying security has a preference for certain folders to 'preserve' (like the Windows folder and Program Files) compared to other folder that a user sets up off the root directory.

When the person who experienced the issue (it was certain campaign elements of CMSF not working) reinstalled going off the root directory, the problems disappeared.

UPDATE:

Alright. After a few incredibly confusing minor issues, I think version 1.2 is ready for a lucky volunteer. I need someone with 1.1 or 1.0 to test the data importing. This is used to import your 1.0 or 1.1 data so you don't have to redo all of your work!

As soon as someone can verify that it works, I'll put it up on cmmods and the repository.

Thanks!!!