What kind of computers do you have?

I am fine in GW maps and I play it in a virtualization environment. That runs XP and the game only, it has 2 gigs of ram allocated to it.

2.4 Gig dual core with 1 core going to the game, 2600 Radeon HD card.

In my experience with SC games RAM was the biggest factor. I used to have just 1 gig allocated to the game and I did see a slow down but once I gave it 2 gigs the game always runs without a single hitch.

FYI to Moonslayer, going from 256 to 512 ram would provide you with a 25+% increase in overall PC performance (128 to 256 is 50%), if you have the space go from 256 to 1 gig and you will see a 40-50% increase. RAM is dirt cheap now and just upgrading that will make you feel like you have a new PC since you have such little ram.

Cheers, Blashy, I would like to but cash is pretty tight at the moment. In addition it would mean opening up the PC as I can't remember how many pins my memory cards are. Maybe when the next holiday comes around I will get it done.

As SC2 is the most demanding piece of software I currently have it's not a priority. Buying new brake discs for the Alfa, on the other hand..... ;)

• 1 month later...

Hello, ok now i have bought a new computer, but it is actually not a bit faster than the old one. Very strange and annoying!!!

I have a Vista with NVIDIA GF 9500 GS, 4 Gigs RAM, AMD Phenom X3 Triple-Core (2,1 GHz)

Shouldn´t this be enough?

Any ideas?

Is it Vista tha slows it down?

Blashy, you mention that you can allocate RAM to the game, how to do this?

------------------------------

Very frustrated Red devil

Cantona66, it might feel slower if you bought a system with a lower GHz than your older one.

For example, you mentioned that you purchased a triple core system with 2.1 GHz and since SC2 only uses a single core when running the game might feel slower if you have less GHz than your older system even though it has 2 additional cores.

The multi-core systems can be great but can also be misleading in terms of overall performance. They are great for mutlitasking etc., but for some games it might not be as good as a very fast single core system etc.

I run a dual core but my GHz are a bit higher and closer to 3.0 etc., so it was a nice upgrade over my older system a few years back. As another example and looking at some of the gaming rigs like Alienware they mostly run very fast single cores (lastest Intel chips) for gaming only etc.

It's a careful balance but I think the key is to still try and get a faster GHz system, multi-core or otherwise, if it is in the budget. I'm looking to get another test system that runs 64-bit Vista and have a quad core but I'm still waiting for the right price point for the higher GHz systems as I too don't want it to be running slower than my older system.

Hope this helps,

Hubert