"Creating Scenarios" How-To Document

Here is the first draft of a document explaining how to create scenarios for DropTeam. It's still incomplete but there's more than enough information there already to create fully functional scenarios. We'll post updates to the document over the next few days.

Please feel free to post questions or comments on your new scenarios in this forum!

We will be creating similar documentation for creating and modding of vehicles, buildings, and other objects. We'll post them when they're ready.

Yes, these are some gaps that are yet to be filled. For the very basics of placing objects, you can just mimic what's being done in other scenarios (you simply use the <PhysicalObject> tag and specify a filename and a location for the object). Of course there are plenty of optional tags for it and more complicated ways to place objects (such as the <ProceduralObject> tag) which the document doesn't cover yet.

Until the document does contain such information, feel free to ask for exactly what you need and we'll give you quick and dirty answers here in the forum.

Oh, and yes, you're quite welcome to use our content in your scenarios!

Yes, you can set each team's inventory of available units either server-wide or per scenario in the scenario file itself. I'll make a separate post for that since it will come up often.

Yes, you can set the lighting by using the <StarLight> tag. There's an example of this tag in Cratered.Scenario (it's pretty straightforward).

• 1 month later...

If you guys had a map editor and scenario editor in DT like they have in Steel Beasts, I would buy it in a second. It does't look to me like there are going to be a lot of single player scenarios available.

There are already some self made scenarios out there. Making scenarios is not that difficult and you can use freely available software to do it. Still a special editor would be nice and is AFAIK in the works.

OTOH I never play single player. The bots are quite good (compared to other games) and good sparring partners. The Real Thing is multiplayer. If you get your butt kicked the first time you will know smile.gif

Thinking about it: shouldn't we have a central repository for scenarios, vehicles and such? I can provide the space if needed.

shouldn't we have a central repository for scenarios, vehicles and such?
A section under the "Mods" area on the Wiki would work well for that. You could collect the mods that folks post from here and link to them from the Wiki. That would be a great help for everyone who wants to try things out!

• 4 months later...