Screenshot Complaint Comix: Commander, C an't You See...???!

The funny thing about the comic itself is that I just watched almost the exact same scenario in the movie "Sharpe's Challenge" (except of course, you'd have to replace the tank commander with Sir Henry Simmerson)

RuhrRiver, regarding 2 - I am not sure what the minimum distance is for using the missile, but that could be the reason why the Syrian APC didn't engage sometimes.

Regarding 1 - a "Hide" order means that you don't want the unit to draw attention to itself. Shooting would be kinda counter-productive smile.gif However, stronger self-preservation seems to be needed, especially for WeGo.

However - from looking at the map you made it seems as if the Syrian APV doesn't really have a place to go anyway, does it? Was this the case in your original situation from the comic? Have you tried setting up a map with a clear escape route for the BMP?

Martin

If the crew is conscript or green, I'd suggest that this behavior is probably realistic.

Battlefield reports from the Arab-Israeli wars, as well as from the 1991 Gulf War, suggest that poorly trained armor crews perform very poorly. I recall having a conversation with an Iraqi tank gunner who had fired the main gun I think a grand total of three times in his military career. I don't know, but I don't think it inconceivable that a conscript BMP crew would not have fired their missiles at all before entering into combat.

With this kind of "training," it is conceivable that a conscript or green vehicle team has simply forgotten how to fire their weapons in the panic of spotting an oncoming enemy, or omitted a key step somewhere along the line. Anyone who doubts this is possible should try to perform a mechanical task that he or she has never properly practiced while in the full flush of an adrenaline rush.

I don't really have any hard data on what very poorly trained vehicle crews actually do in combat conditions -- and, I suspect that it really hasn't been studied very much -- so I'm speculating a lot here, but I submit that the combat record of Syrian armor in 1973 and Iraqi armor in 1991 speaks for itself. Imho, you should expect green or conscript vehicle crews to behave in a hair-tearingly frustrating fashion.

[ June 09, 2008, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: nijis ]

if it wasnt a "self made" scenario i guess the crew was regular.

its a BMP2 in the picture wich only comes with Republican Guards, and these come regular or vet in the game normaly.

however thats just a guess after considering that this is a BMP2.

EDIT:

also i ran some tests, there are BMP1´s with AT-3´s in the game. but these only come with reserve mech infantry, i never saw it befor and i have the game since it came out.

i just could get it to fire its AT-3 once, but it did not open up to aim it, and it looked like it can reload it while buttoned too. realy sweet, but they fired it as good as never in my tests against strykers.

than there are the BMP1´s with AT-4A and AT-4C, these have to open up to aim and reload, pretty bad in some situations.

and the BMP2 with AT-5 can aim it from inside too, but also have to open up to reload.

thats what i gathered from trying it out.

[ June 09, 2008, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

Moon:

In the cartoon setting, there was a clear withdrawal path for the APC, back into the town...at least, it looked like there was.

Also, in my test setup, one of the APCs attempted to withdraw when another was getting pounded, and did back out of los of the enemy. But that was once with one.

Troop quality: Republican Guards--don't know the exact rating. Could they be green?