Rambo VS Liam AAR: Best VS Best

@ Blashy: Yes we play with hindsight... But we still imagine ourselves as great commanders and Stalin could be still there to order us to move some troops into attack position.

From the game point of view I think i could be fun if you are able to build forward defenses with entrechment and fortifications. Could be sometimes a little surprise for the Germans and add variety to the game.

some player swould opt for retreating as much as possible and other for a forward defense although to be more able to counteratttack aka sealion. Though I think it would be nice if you are starting to entrech at for example 50% activation.

On the ohter hand if you although permit neutral to entrech when activated enough it would be slthough a small measure against cookie cutter.

This game has been very interesting, Liam has captured the details.

Here's my gameplay so far:

1) France held to late July, good weather (well, bad weather) helped me. I did wax a German Army & ding some other units.

2) Lost UK-Army in Brest after the Fall of France. Dumb, this isn't SC-1, Liam introduced the attack & move.

3) Subs got headcracked in Atlantic.

4) I gave Egypt away, didn't care. Sent the troops home.

5) Russia ran. I did try one counter move near the mines as Liam explained, but it cost me! Hiding behind the Volga & near Moscow to build & try tech has helped..

6) USA/UK tried early D-Days but have got repelled from stubborn Axis forces, I have been staying in Brest for awhile. Therefore, I swarmed Norway & Sweden until I can strengthen the Western cause.

7) After leaving Egypt early, the Med.Front has been dead.

8) the Russian front has been a blood bath, with both sides making good bold move, but also getting stung. Axis LF picks off my units at will in the North, but I'll slug it out on the ground & kill Germans like a heavy weight boxing match.

Both sides haven't "gotten cute", we are punching, try to win on sheer might.

Well Sombra that is perspective. When I play these games I'm a GOD, so I have final say in everything.

BTW, a Frontline defense is quite possible, I did it once and it was far from perfect yet still did the job of hampering the Axis advance.

On diplomatic effects:

In my first game against the SC2-Allied AI (full version, not demo), Iraq made a radical shift from 20% pro Allied to 80% pro Axis. This seems to have been caused by something else than the diplo-chits, even though I had four chits invested. Is a likely British fall in Egypt a factor to this?

I got a little later a +14% increase and so the Iraq joined the Axis (after 90% the increase seems automatic).

I'd have to say honestly, I was slightly ahead tactically in this game. I didn't know anymore than Rambo otherwise as I'd toyed with the Demo but overall Infantry and Anti-Tank Weapons on the Eastern Front have been a decided factor...

Originally posted by Blashy:

Is this game still ongoing?

Yes, I know how to use Rivers, Marshes, Forests, Cities as well... Russians are afraid to come out of hiding as they have experienced first hand what the Luftwaffe can do, 4 to 5 bars on Some LW Units. Spent a lot of time killing Armies in The Ithmus trying to defend Finland at least 5-6 Red Armies with all those expensive advancements have bitten it to Stukas. Though otherwise every engagement on Land, my Units are at a grave disadvantage. I have researched infantry weapons 2 but I have many tanks and they haven't earned 1 advancement with Germany in near 4 years... What gets me I know the Germans had the capability of Panzer3s in 1940 before France just not in production :(

With Norway, Sweden and Finland in Allied hands as of about the time we quit last night I'm likely going to be suffering economically. It's quite possible that Germans hold out till 1945 but beyond that is a grave prospect, D-Day will not have a Massive Punch to it.

Another night of this marathon game. Feb. 1944, a complete bloodbath in Russia for both sides. Germany had retreated behind Dneiper, bunkered up in Lennigrad (free dumb move by me), and rebuilt forces in late 1943...then The Hun came at me again. We've been exchanging all kinds of pieces. Meanwhile, USA/UK are camping on the MMPs from Norway & Sweden. The RN & U.S. Navy had been repaired to control the seas. I don't want any sniffing of my coasts or loss of territory. Brest & Denmark are also Allied. Axis forces have some punch in Paris, and have been swatting my weak attempts at more land. The USAF & RAF have been built up to 8 units stationed in UK. I need some good weather to break & try a real D-Day Summer of '44 to finish this game off.

Alright here is the final skinny as me and John approach our 1944 (4 total nights of play)

The USA and UK are pounding France from the Air, there is at least 8-9 ground fighters-Bombers and both carriers wreak havoc in the West. Benelux is Liberated then changes hands. Italians mixed with a small contingent Germans kill 2 Allied Corps there.

The Western Allies plan for an all out invasion of France, Weather goes bad in late '43 and through '44...they're bogged down.

In Russia we slug it out over Moscow in 1944! Weather destroys the German offensive after final Tech breakthroughs way too late to do any good. War is likely over We're outproduced likely 4 to 1....but death totals match on the Western front 1 for 1 with inferior quality units until JUST NOW

game is doomed Russia is level3 tanks, level2 fighters...but we fight on...hoping to stalemate and see 1945 still Paris ours and Moscow threatened

Liam: Once the populace found out about the hideous plans of the Reich, they chose the best of two evils and attacked the Nazis as often and and hard as they could. They were a severe impediment to Nazi plans, true heros for Allied cause. Better to be treated as slaves than to be considered non-human. Check it out. Tag

@Liam --- You game tonight? Please post a time. Also, you're going to get the Allies next game, so you'll have your chance for IT & Production. Tactically, I've played a terrible game, Economically, is another story.

This game has literally been a game of attrition, nothing fancy at all. I gave Egypt away, spent UK money on the Royal Navy (fixing ships), thus, UK has nothing for the ground. Russia has enough toe-to-toe to hold on. UK/USA ground landings in France has been nothing but body bags. I can only get Brest & trade back Low Countries. When the weather breaks, so will France.

Target D-Day, JUNE 6th, 1944 for the Legend.

Originally posted by Tagwyn:

Liam: Once the populace found out about the hideous plans of the Reich, they chose the best of two evils and attacked the Nazis as often and and hard as they could. They were a severe impediment to Nazi plans, true heros for Allied cause. Better to be treated as slaves than to be considered non-human. Check it out. Tag

Bahhh, Tag... I know but about history, likely better than yourself. They fought the Nazis because of the harshness and cruelty of the Regime though many wouldn't have and I know for certian Ukrainians didn't have much love for Mother Russia nor did Baltic Nations they in fact were Likely all but Allied to Germany...look at the contrast of the Slavs vs the Western Europeans in resisting the Germans, and the treatment. As Germans treated slavs poorly and saw them as a lesser race I suppose that's what they get but this is a game and on a Strategic Level can't I adopt my own Politics Racially even? LOL guess no so you shouldn't bring it up......had the Regime been a bit more merciful. Who says that my Regime has to be merciless and to be quite frank were the Soviets any better than the Germans? They only killed Political Prisoners or UnDesirables? LOL They murdered more than the Germans they just kept it under Wraps from the West and your History TextBook.

Regardless... how many Waffens were Norwegian, Dutch, French, Ukrainian, Finnish, Swedish, Spanish, even bloody American Germans? Likely more than the Partisans presented in the game. Shouldn't Germany get a Waffen SS Boost?

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

@Liam --- You game tonight? Please post a time. Also, you're going to get the Allies next game, so you'll have your chance for IT & Production. Tactically, I've played a terrible game, Economically, is another story.

This game has literally been a game of attrition, nothing fancy at all. I gave Egypt away, spent UK money on the Royal Navy (fixing ships), thus, UK has nothing for the ground. Russia has enough toe-to-toe to hold on. UK/USA ground landings in France has been nothing but body bags. I can only get Brest & trade back Low Countries. When the weather breaks, so will France.

Target D-Day, JUNE 6th, 1944 for the Legend.

Yes, You have the Money I had the tactics although One cannot say your Eastern Front was a poorly foughght campaign. You retreated to the right locations, you gave way then with reserves crushed the Spearheads and then came in with superior land techs and production... I suppose my error was, I should've spent another 5 ground units and ignored my Airforce, some areas of tech and focused on crushing Moscow in 1942 along with Stalingrad. I was within 3 or 4 hexes of all my objectives, just a few units short...supply and weather slowed me but was not the only factor. I have learned. And D-Day and this game is relatively historical.......all over if you look it is... N.Africa is in Scandanavia. Russia repelled the Germans pretty much by '43 into '44... Western Airforce with Land Dominates by the Summer '44.... Game should end roughly around 1946... However if D-day is repelled it'll be up to the Reds to do the dirty work, sad thing is though I've killed as many Reds as Reds have killed Greys, you can replace them I cannot