Tigers & Bears..but no Lions? Oh my!

Just musing on the fact that I can't find any German uber nor unterkitty referred to as a Lion (Loewe). Tiger, Panther, Lynx, Puma, and even a Bear, but no Lion (as in the good old African "King of the Beasts" type, not one of those middling cougar-ish types like the Puma)!

It seems like a better name for the Pz VI than "Tiger", given that (IIRC) they tend to hug woods/jungle, while the lion is much more an open grassland beast, n'est pas ;)

Back to work...

'but no Lion (as in the good old African "King of the Beasts" type'

In any case, as those of us with the

Discovery Channel know, it is the

Hippo, not the Lion, that is the true

king of the beasts...

Unfortunately, "Nilpferd" (hippo in

German) just sounds kinda....harmless

That one always seemed misnamed because actual elephants are fairly nimble and rarely bog ;) They got the the long trunk and thick hide right, though.

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Actually, I would think the African Elephant as being the king. Hippos have been known to be taken down by Lions or large Crocs, while no one is going to mess with a fully grown bull Elephant