Some Pictures from Salute 2019

JulianJ

Seems I have reached the limit of allowable uploads. I had a great day, met some gamer friends, had lunch in the pub and then went back in the afternoon, when it was quieter and TIP: at the end of the day you can grab bargains and discounts from the many traders who want to offload stuff. I'd just met a friend called Jon who I don't see very often because he lives a way off, (the crowds were milling and it was difficult to find people) and a Halo Marine came up and assaulted him!  That doesn't happen every day....apparently it was a LARPer he knew.

Sadly I haven't been playing any tabletop games for a while because I can't find the time...or the opponents.  There were a lot of open participation games at Salute but I didn't get to play any of them. Firstly I was looking for my friends, then we went round some stands they wanted to see, then we had a longish boozy lunch, then went round again, and by that time I was too knackered and needed to go home!

• 2 weeks later...

JulianJ,

The UK is full of wargame groups which play minis. My passion in that regard is Chain of Command, by Too Fat Lardies, the award winning UK firm which was at Salute. CoC is WW II skirmish combat (reinforced platoon level) and is unlike anything else I've ever played. Here's a video showing game play. Play in 28 mm myself and have German, Japanese and Americans. There is a closed, but welcoming, FB group as well. TFL has a strong, active presence there. Have played and enjoyed TFL's WaT (What a Tanker) and done well at it.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444501242432741/

In my local gaming group, I've (disastrously) played English Civil War using Black Powder, won as the American Colonists in Rebels & Patriots and, commanding the Confederate Forces in a semi-historical Gettysburg segment, am doing very well in Rally Round the Flag, an old set of rules from 1972, but the issue is so hotly disputed the game is still set up. Not bad, considering I've never played the game and that this is only my second time playing ACW miniatures in ages. Am able to play those because the other guys already have the troops, appropriately scaled 15 mm or 54 mm terrain, etc. Expect to be playing Napoleonic Wars using Le Baton ere long. 

Ivan Zaitsev,

To use the UK expression, I live "across the pond" here in the US. One of my brothers used to live in Shrewsbury, UK, but has now long been here in the States.

Andy,

While the UK types do tend to refer to Americans as Yanks, I, suh, am a southerner, not a Yankee. Technically speaking, the latter term applies to those born north of the Mason-Dixon Line in the eastern part of the country. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Andy,

Suggest you get rid of those URLs before a Mod boom is lowered on your head! WaT, though not realistic per se, is a hoot. It can be pretty gripping, too. Sharp Practice seems to be a local favorite, and it's something I look forward to playing.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler