WW2 Russia minefield found by major road

Wicky

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-46200218

A group of Russian history buffs was surprised to find a reminder of Soviet resistance to the Nazi invasion in the form of an improvised minefield near a busy road.

Members of a club devoted to the history of the nearby Krasnaya Gorka military fort almost stumbled across the makeshift mines in a quiet stretch of woodland not far from St Petersburg, the local Kanal 5 TV channel reports.

Club chairman Alexander Senotrusov said Soviet forces stationed at Krasnaya Gorka had no mines with which to block German tanks on their way to Leningrad in 1941, so they improvised explosives from pre-revolutionary naval shells and laid them out in rows around the fort.

"One pound of pressure, and up you go," he told Kanal 5.

"It's a miracle that there's not been a tragedy here in nearly 80 years," marvelled TV correspondent Roman Ishmukhametov as he stood alongside a mine - all the more so as local people have been coming across occasional shells for seven years while out mushroom-picking.

Wicky,

Great story, and everyone who's walked through the area has indeed been fortunate. One of the things I marvel at is that in Russia so much still seems to be on or just below the ground line, resulting, for example, in finding soldiers' remains in the woods, instead of having to dig several meters deep, as in the case of some WW I entrenchments in Flanders.

My English Comp teacher would've flayed whomever wrote that headline, for who knew a road had mine sleuthing abilities? Pretty extensive field, and I wouldn't, if there, be so blithe about the state of that old ordnance, considering a guy here in the States obliterated himself a few years ago while grinding rust off a Civil War 11" Dahlgren shell recovered at Vicksburg, Mississippi. Seems the shell was fitted with a waterproof fuze for naval warfare and that the grinder removed the protective wax and ignited the powder train. KABOOM!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 11/15/2018 at 8:19 AM, Wicky said:

It's a miracle that there's not been a tragedy here in nearly 80 years," marvelled TV correspondent Roman Ishmukhametov as he stood alongside a mine

Since they were "makeshift mines" (IED's?), they probably were ineffective after all that time.  Still, it would only take one to ruin your day.

Edited by Erwin