Assist needed on research for a scenario!

I currently have a very full plate and do not ask this out of laziness but in the hope somebody might have better luck than my several tries....and might enjoy the task!

pappagoat just made some nice vehicles mods and I have several ideas for some early '43 scenarios.

One idea that needs some research: Kern's Crossroads February 1943.

I think some US Army armored infantry and some Stuarts defended this crossroads north of Sidi Bouzid against I think a probe by DAK recon units. 

If anyone can route out the details I can flesh up the bones on the scenario a bit better. Thanks in advance.

date, time of day, weather, units/forces, etc.

Credit in the designer's notes of course and my sincere appreciation.

Still finding only vague remarks. Now I know it wasn't DAK but 10th Panzer Division under Von Arnim's 5th Panzer Army. 

Probably this unit:

10. Motorcycle Battalion
- 2 x Motorcycle Company
- Half-track Company
- Armored Car Company
- Heavy Company (mot)

....before they reorganzied & started calling them "aufklarungs abteilung" I guess?

Seems to be just after Sidi Bouzid so late on the 15th probably and while the axis command structure was working out what to do and where to go.

I know the location. A crossroads. But when it started being called "Kern's Crossroads" I am not sure....

SYNOPSIS: Lieutenant Colonel (Infantry) William Bentley Kern, United States Army, was awarded the Silver Star for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in connection with military operations against the enemy as Commanding Officer, 1st Battalion, 6th Infantry Regiment, 1st Armored Division, during World War II.

some other places

http://www.historynet.com/battle-for-kasserine-pass-1st-armored-division-were-ambushed-by-the-afrika-corps-at-sidi-bou-zid.htm - the prequel situation

http://apps.westpointaog.org/Memorials/Article/10151/ - Bill Kern career summary
During World War II, Bill commanded the 1st Battalion, 6th Armored Infantry Regiment in the North African Campaign. On 8 November 1942, his battalion spearheaded the landing of the 1st Armored Division near Oran, Algeria. He commanded the task force that freed over 500 American prisoners of war captured in the assault on Oran harbor. According to news reports published at the time, on 3 December 1942, his first battalion was the first US infantry to engage the German Army in combat in Tunisia. In February 1943, during the battles of Faid Pass and Sidi Bou Zid, his battalion, as part of Combat Command B, was the rear guard of the 1st Armored Division. “Kern’s Crossroads” shown on the 1st Armored Division’s maps of the campaign was named for him.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/staff-rides/kasserine/vol-i-part_1.pdf - start at pdf page 17 (document page 248)

http://www.benning.army.mil/Library/content/Armor%20in%20Battle%20II_December%202015.pdf - small mention starting pdf page 98

Thanks. I will look through it for any nuggets of info. 

Maybe I need to go through the axis side for better info!

Hahaha by the way I always see this actual Sdkfz 251/1 Ausf C (with rivets) from 10th PD. War trophy captured and brought back from Tunisia.

At a nearby museum I spend a lot of time at...

10PD_zpsnk9fijsw.jpg

But now I think the mueum folks messed up the insignia as 10PD was NOT part of DAK but was with 5th Panzer Army and Von Arnim, correct?

10pD2_zpsbtc6phud.jpg

Outstanding picture...

In Rick Atkinson's "An Army at Dawn" it describes an attack by the 10th Panzer Div, specifically saying Kern's Bn and Battery C of the 27th Armored Field Arty Bat...apparently with half-track mounted guns (I assume the 75s mounted on half-tracks) were also involved in a fight with about 20 panzers and German paratroopers (pg 227)..sorry doesn't give strength on the paras.

it does mention motorcycles as well...again no OOB.  It also mentions that a combined force of General Lee tanks, reinforced by five Shermans counterattacked to support Kern and were pretty much wiped out.

Sorry, no specific  OOB for the battle...surprised the Green Books didn't have more detail.

39 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

@grunt_GI  Jerry, I looked at that page in Army at Dawn and that was December 42. Sounded juicy to make somebody a nice scenario. But I am now way too tight on time. I will stick with the Kern's Crossroads story for now.

Oops, sorry, I just looked up KERN in the index and that was all I found..my bad..should have checked the date. :wub:

Don't know it would make much of a scenario..the American's got the ass handed to them.  Have you got a copy of Martin Blumenson's Kasserine Pass?  That is probably the best single volume study of the battle.

6 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

Have you got a copy of Martin Blumenson's Kasserine Pass?  That is probably the best single volume study of the battle.

I read that several decades ago and really liked it. Come to think of it, I can't recall any book by Blumenson that failed to entertain and inform me. He may require correction now and then from more recent research on some minor point, but by and large I think he gets it right again and again.

Michael

55 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

I read that several decades ago and really liked it. Come to think of it, I can't recall any book by Blumenson that failed to entertain and inform me. He may require correction now and then from more recent research on some minor point, but by and large I think he gets it right again and again.

Michael

Yea shoulda recommended a copy. I have an old paperback I found at a used bookstore