Road to Montebourg - Hell in the Hedgerows ARGH

Hi all,

I've been going back to CMBN after playing a bunch of CMFI and CMBS in the last few months. I never played the RtM campaign and have been really enjoying it.

However, I am absolutely stuck on Hell in the Hedgerows. I've searched the forum and found a couple of threads, but not much in the way of help. I've restarted from the end of the previous mission a few times and have found that there are a few different potential German defensive plans, but I've not be able to succeed against any of them.

After beating on this mission half a dozen times, my best result so far is to end up with both infantry companies on the sunken road at the middle of the map having taken minimal casualties, with company HQ and heavy machineguns positioned in the second floor of the buildings in Le Hamlet. This seems to be the only firing position where the HMGs can put fire on the German main defensive line except being placed in front of the bocage on the sunken road, where they typically get chewed up right after they open fire.

I am trying to husband my HE and smoke mortar rounds so I can pour fire into the bunkers and use smoke as much as possible, but the wind is such that my smoke screens seem to be useless and I still haven't been able to push through the German fire to get up the opposite bank and onto the road in enough force to actually clear the Germans.

Has anyone had success with this mission? I have been getting Major and Total victories up to this point (on Iron) and I don't want just "Draw" this one!

I've been bouncing off this mission too. I suspect that the wooden bunkers are tougher in v3 than they were in v1. I had a long old gap between starting the campaign and coming back to it, and remember the bunkers in the first mission being tractable by pounding with 81mm fire. These bunkers seem impervious to the heaviest bombardment available to the poor airborne, withstanding multiple direct hits from 81mm mortars and 75mm Pack Howitzers. The beach-front bunkers were also clearable by heavy, concentrated machine gun fire, but these ones are not (whether that's the additional protection of the Bocage, or the revised toughness of wooden bunkers, I couldn't say).

I would note that you aren't actually required to clear the Germans. Your VL is supposed to be a Touch one, and having units in the German VL should deny them any points for it (though that might not be the same ground as the Ami VL).

I got "some" use out of a smoke screen,

I'd say skip this mission. In my view, it's one of the few 'duds' in an otherwise great campaign. It's simply not interesting enough to warrant the difficulty level. There are many good ways to design a challenging scenario, but "charge towards the machineguns" is not one of them.

Yes wondering if this is the one which you just have to touch the ridge line?

If so Smoke and ignore the bunkers as best as possible. I think I ended up with loads of casulaties in this one but did manage to flank the position and then work my way along the ridge line...

Nasty mission and don't go toe to toe with bunkers use all your efforts to flank them even with a small force you should be able to get up there...

Of course I can not remember what version I played... If you wanted to share it on Drop box PM me and I can take a look?

Okay, YEAH, now I don't know how all the patches have affected it since release, but when I played it after about the umpteenth save (getting slaughtered trying to go to the right, then center, it seems ##################################

SPOILER

#################################

There was a little village on the left flank not far from the last hedgerow. It seems like for some reason, once you cleared that village, there may have been some defilade that allows you to get to the ridge. After that, it seems like it wasn't too difficult to mop up the rest of the ridge going bunker to bunker.

Sorry that's so vague, but it's been a long time since I fooled with it.

Okay, YEAH, now I don't know how all the patches have affected it since release, but when I played it after about the umpteenth save (getting slaughtered trying to go to the right, then center, it seems ##################################

SPOILER

#################################

There was a little village on the left flank not far from the last hedgerow. It seems like for some reason, once you cleared that village, there may have been some defilade that allows you to get to the ridge. After that, it seems like it wasn't too difficult to mop up the rest of the ridge going bunker to bunker.

Sorry that's so vague, but it's been a long time since I fooled with it.

More spoilers

That was the way I thought it was obvious to go. It wasn't until I'd crammed a whole company into that little farm on the left and had about 15 minutes left that I realised the far bank of the creek was barbed wire. And there's no way to ignore or suppress the two bunkers that cover that approach (the LiG is surely toast after the number of 60mm rounds expended on it, along with any infantry along the road and not in the bunkers), and there's insufficient smoke to cover the crossing, having used it to get the assault column within striking distance. No engineers to breach the wire, so it's a turkey shoot in front of two invulnerable MG42s...

• 2 weeks later...

**************SPOILER********************

AHHH... the wire.   That's what made it easier along the left side.  Knew there was something.

Maybe it's possible to use artillery to blow a hole through the wire? It's been a long time since I played this mission, and I just laid a line of fire along the far hedge, I suspect that's what most people do. But maybe it's better to not waste it there, since you can't hurt the bunkers anyway.

Maybe it's possible to use artillery to blow a hole through the wire? It's been a long time since I played this mission, and I just laid a line of fire along the far hedge, I suspect that's what most people do. But maybe it's better to not waste it there, since you can't hurt the bunkers anyway.

I don't think 75mm Pack Howitzers or 81mm mortars have much effect on wire. Takes 150mm-plus from what I've gathered here. And by the time I get close enough to see the wire, I've not got time to call a strike, wait for it to drop and then prosecute an assault on the road. Even if I hadn't already wasted the guns trying to point target one bunker to neutralise it.