Request for OLD guys

grunt_GI

grunt_GI,

Yes, I did get my metrics crossed up. Probably because I've seen speeds like that on my Internet connection altogether too much!

aleader,

Red Baron, Flight of the Old Dog and multiple disastrous outings--too much to track; won the sector battle but lost the war--with Red Lightning, experiences so traumatic I swore off computer wargames for good. Until a friend moved in, bringing MOO, some huge Star Trek game and PE. Was his weapon dev guy for the first two, then first pundit, military advisor, tyro and pretty good PE player and dev group (not to be confused with DEVGRU) member. An ad on PE got me into CMBO's Beta Demo, for the first CMx anything! I wrote an entire novel on my Amiga, learned to run image processing software and MatLab or something akin thereto. Piddled with 3-D randering and ray trace, digital painting and other cool stuff. A real shame Commodore royally screwed up on the Amiga, for it was simply astounding and inexpensive, both for the rig and the software. There was some talk of marketing the wonderful OS, but they screwed that up, too. The Amiga provided me my first look at the internet--via a browser which showed a a whole four-inch tall segment, a kind of virtual vision block view, if you will.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

Anybody knows if there is such a zoom feature on win7? Have a pc version of CM and would like to soon in as well like it is possible on macs.

Try holding the CTRL key and moving the mouse wheel toward the screen. Same with a Mac, except you use the CMD key instead of the CTRL. I don't know how you'd do it if you don't have a mouse wheel though. I went from the TI99-4A to a Mac SE 9.5 inch screen in 1988. It is sitting 5 feet away and I can still use it. Current is a Mac Pro quad. CMX2 at highest resolution now is beautiful:-D

Edited by Vet 0369

Before I was on Macs, I was on the then-amazing Amiga, whose capabilities and associated costs nearly broke down my friend, who's spent, I recall, $4K, options maxed , on his gray scale, tiny screen, mono audio Mac 512 SE. I owned an Amiga 1000, subsequently replaced by a vastly more capable family 2000.

Cool to run into another Amiga owner. My first computer was the Commodore 64, followed a couple of years later by an Amiga 500. After that, our paths diverge, and I went to the dark side and bought (well built) a DOS PC (80286 CPU with a VGA card and a Sound Blaster card, if I recall correctly). Back then we called them "IBM Clones". Been rolling my own ever since.

Edited by Doug Williams