• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
Sign in to follow this  
Gen Von Television

Associate MODs to battle & campaign in Editor

Hello Gents,

iirc I did actually read in the manual or in some readme/faq about this feature, but cannot find it again.

Was this option introduced with CMX2 v.2?

I'm talking about the possibility to create a campaign or a battle in the editor, including some MODs for uniforms and armor paintings.

Am I daydreaming or is that possible? And if so, can someone please list on how to implement it?

If this has been already discussed in depths I wasn't able to find it: any clarification would me most welcomed.

TIA

OK, I've found a hint reference in the CMx2 v.2.0 Upgrade page:

Editor Improvements:

[...]

- Ability to assign special uniform types for select units types on a unit by unit basis.

[...]

Graphics improvements:

- Expanded Soldier details. A completely new way of assigning models and textures allows greater flexibility and variety of how Soldiers look in the game. It also allows for more flexible Modding possibilities.

Still I cannot find any other details: has this been improved or not?

That's the feature that allows you to choose from between uniform options--mostly camo/no camo/mixed camo, atm. In CMFI/GL, you can choose from greatcoats and shorts depending on the date of the scenario.

Hi GvT,

They are available with the MG module in the editor, and so they are there for CN/CW if you have MG. Usually the choice is Standard, Mix-Camo and Camo, and then you can also choose between 82 and 101 Airborne.

This I may call a... good start!

I don't believe it would be that complicated to add the possibility to include modded uniforms and tanks markings, maybe adding a command line in a campaign script, or the possibility to chose a file from the editor...

Yes- the uniforms have options in the Editor for use of certain camo schemes, unit emblams (82nd vs. 101 AB, for instance). This is set by scenario designer.

There are certain tags that are available for use by mod makers. These depend on the game (CMFI vs CMBN) for what's available. CMFI has "snow", for instance, CMBN does not (as that season isn't covered by ending in September).

These tags add things like "mud" textures when that environment is present in the scenario. This may also be applied to country in the case of CMBN by adding the "Holland" (IIRC) tag to a texture mod. There is a list of these tags somewhere. They are a great addition to the modders available tools, and also add immersion with the stock textures when used.

Via Mikey D:

For CMBN [muddy] and [holland] works.

For CMFI [muddy], [olive], [whitewash], and [mainland] for vehicles. Or any combo thereof like [olive muddy]

For CMFI terrain there's [cold] and [snow] and [spring]

The tag [olive] kicks in at a certain date - March?

[whitewash] appears when snow terrain is selected. Only the German bunker uses that tag currently.

On 3.11.2013 at 2:53 AM, Gen Von Television said:

Hello Gents,

iirc I did actually read in the manual or in some readme/faq about this feature, but cannot find it again.

Was this option introduced with CMX2 v.2?

I'm talking about the possibility to create a campaign or a battle in the editor, including some MODs for uniforms and armor paintings.

Am I daydreaming or is that possible? And if so, can someone please list on how to implement it?

If this has been already discussed in depths I wasn't able to find it: any clarification would me most welcomed.

TIA

There is a Campaign editor 'CM Universal Utility' (alpha) here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sroq6vhlm3fza6/AADPnV9WTXH9ifqpAw6Slszea?dl=0