My guess CM will be out in march - whats yours?

Guest Capt_Manieri

MARCH!!!! Hell no!! I'll commit suicide by then! If they are working as hard as they say they are, it should be out in late January, early February.

Okay, it's time to start an official release-date pool. We can have Capt_M run it, since he has experience with gambling in his school and all (shame, shame!)

We need to pick the prize for the pool winner, and some iron-clad way to ensure that the prize is provided. With the amount of people around here, (as an example) we could easily pay for a significant % of the winner's copy of CM with just $.50 each entry.

Because there are almost certainly WAY more people than there are days between now and the latest-guess release date, we'll have to limit it to first come, first serve.

AND, of COURSE, we'll have to exclude anybody in the know (i.e. "employees, families and friends of BTS are not eligible")

For the record, my prognostication (isn't that illegal in the U.S.? smile.gif ) on the official/release shipping-date of CM is Feb. 18 (this date was arrived at after some thought from a coworker who does a damn good impression of Carson's "Great Karnak" character)

As a tie-breaker, we will also have to pick the date of release of the gold demo (i.e. when duplication starts to give the aforementioned shipping-date) My shot is Jan 28th.

DjB

*slaps two quarters down on the table*

My bet is for February the First (Full Game)

and January the 23 for the Gold Demo.

This is based on neither fact or reason, they just sound like good dates. smile.gif

How will I get my money? Cash is preferable, but I also accept checks and major credit cards wink.gif

- Bill

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

January 20!

After all guys they did say they were pretty much done except for some tweaking. I'm guessing 2 days after y2k to get over their hangovers, couple more to finish "tweaking" and then 2 weeks for it to finish burning off copies then ship.

Awright, since Capt_M hasn't sounded off, I'm announcing the start of an official record-sheet of dates. I'll put it in Excel, and if you want to be in officially send me an email at home (assuming, of course, that I can get online from home again) telling me what day you think the official demo is released, and what day the CD ships.

FIRST COME FIRST SERVE

doug-beman@home.com

Again, FIRST COME FIRST SERVE

I will email you a confirmation, or a notice that somebody has already taken those dates. Once you've settled on a date for the demo and the full-ship, NO CHANGES (don't even ask, or I'll be flooded with changes as people have dreams or whatever that tell them to select new dates)

Madmatt, would it be possible for you to post the sheet on the site? How hard is it to take stuff in a spreadsheet and just splat it onto a webpage (I don't want to force people to download a file just to look at the release pool)

For the record,

I have Jan 28th and Feb 18th

BillCarey has Jan23rd for full demo (gotta pick a CD-ship date)

Stabsfeldwebel (staff sarge?) has Jan 20th (for CD-ship? let me know!!)

I'll start the official record sheet tonight, after I track the changes in my IRA and gloss over personal email.

BTW, the only assurance you will have on the validity of your picks is that confirmation letter I send you, so KEEP IT! Other than that, I can only ask that you trust my impartiality (after all, I got a decent raise this year, so I'm not going to cheat somebody in order to get a $50 game for free)

DjB

ps FIRST COME FIRST SERVE

Don't post anymore choices here. Send them instead to the email address provided above. If my system won't go online, I can use another system at home that will (altho I have to wait in line to use it) If all else fails, they'll pile up in my inbox; since they're all dated, I'll be able to tell who picks what release first.

DjB

Guest Capt_Manieri

Before I make a bet with my hard earned fifty cents, I need to know how long it will take to finish the manual and how long will it take for the CDs to be made?

Over in the "suggestions for the manual" thread, Moon said that the manual is in similar shape to the game; they're finalizing choices as to what's in/out, and will then put it all together.

As long as they have a rough draft, making the actual manual shouldn't be too hard. Now, if they have NOTHING written yet, I don't know. Even *I* started my term papers at least a month before they were due (well, not always. There was one in particular I remember: 10 pages on Islamic society from 650-1000. I wrote that one the morning it was due)

DjB

Sorry, CaptM, that's a question impossible to answer until it's answered itself. CM is looking like multi-thousand copies, and I don't know HOW long that kind of duplication would take. For Micro$oft, 30 seconds (if that) For indies like BTS, it's a little more involved.

Same thing for the manual. How often have you written an essay for a class that took exactly as long as you had thought it would when the teacher first handed it out?

And besides, I never said anybody would be getting any prize. This contest is currently for personal pride and nothing more. Imagine, being able to tell your friends, "I correctly predicted the release date for CombatMission, the best damn wargame of this (or any other) millenium!"

DjB

ps: of course, you really can't count the millenia without computers. That would be sort of unfair to our ancestors.