reading this forum with an iphone (or android)

poesel

Reading this forum with safari on an iphone is of course possible but not that much fun - lots of zooming and scrolling necessary.

The AppStore shows me at least three alternatives for a specialized forum viewing apps: Forum Runner (1,59€), Tapatalk Forum App (2,39€) and TouchBB Forum (0,79€). I have no experience with any of them. All of them need some sort of (free) plug-in installed on the server side.

Android has probably the same apps but I don't have one so I can't check.

How do you read the forum on a smartphone?

Would BFC install such a plugin?

Thanks for the tip - tried it. For this purpose its basically the same as Safari. Don't get me wrong - it works and its... ok-ish so to say :)

I was just wondering if theres some more specialized software for this purpose. I think I'll have to repost that on a more frequented place here.

PS. There is some kind of vBulletin native app for the iphone. No clue what it does or how it works, but if at all, that would be the only option we'd go for, if at all. It's not anything on the radar anytime soon, though. If you ask me, mobile devices need to adapt to the net, not the other way around.

The vBulletin app - as I understand it - works the same as all the others: you need some kind of software (call it plugin or something else) on the server side that does the reformatting.

About adaption: the problem is not so much the mobile device - its us! :)

Nowadays you can have crisp fonts on a screen so small you simply can't read it anymore. I'm getting older so my vision won't be getting better.

Another problem is that we don't have shrinkable index fingers. Hitting a link with a mouse pointer is so much easier than with my (comparativly) fat fingers.

Have a look at the vBulletin app you mentioned and visit their forum with it and then visit your forum - the reasons for this software are obvious.

The vBulletin app - as I understand it - works the same as all the others: you need some kind of software (call it plugin or something else) on the server side that does the reformatting.

I know, the difference is that we are already using vB.

BTW, for easier reading, you could always use new RSS feeds or the Archive, instead of viewing the main pages.