Unable to print when connected to internet

Apache

Quite often I want to print pages from this forum when connecetd. I know about saving pages as HTML and text files etc but sometimes I'd just like to hit the print button. When I do nothing happens though sometimes, when I disconnect and close IE5, the page prints? Is this a common problem and is there a way round it?

Go to Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > hightlight the 'Computer' icon and click on the Properties button. The list that comes up is your IRQ usage. Parallel ports typically take IRQ 7 and usually shouldn't be sharing them with other devices, but it happens sometimes. In this case your parallel port may be sharing an IRQ with a PCI device like your modem.

It looks like you may have the latest driver according to this listing. The latest for Windows 98 is 5.0CE released 12/15/99, you can check the listing here.

I expected to see the parallel port on IRQ 7. The ACPI stuff makes sense to me too. With ACPI on, typically most PCI/AGP devices will be sharing a single IRQ (I'm not sure if that is always the case in Windows 9x/ME). From what you've told me the modem and the parallel port should not be conflicting, so the cause is something else other than an IRQ conflict.

ACPI could be a factor in this problem. Windows 9x/ME wasn't really written with ACPI in mind and even more importantly many device drivers may not fully cooperate with the way that ACPI manages the resources on a computer. The driver for you modem may be a piece of software that doesn't work very well with ACPI. Although I have no idea why printing would be the problem (since your parallel port isn't using an IRQ that's being shared via ACPI). Unfortunately there is no easy way to deconfigure ACPI. It usually involves turning off ACPI support in the CMOS/BIOS setup and reinstalling Windows (which doesn't always go as planned).

The printer driver I listed above is fairly old, but you may want to double check your version to make sure it isn't older (usually you can find this info in the Properties tabs of the printer in the Printers Folder).