Combat Mission Won't Load?

I've been playing all three CM Games as well as CMSF since they came out and just recently I've run into a problem with CMBO. When I attempt to start the program I get about 1/2 of the initial drum roll, then the program hangs. Eventually, I get the Microsoft window asking whether I'll send the error report to them. There is a great deal text in that message, but I don't know enough about the info to make much use of it.

I deleted the .prf file and even tried deleting the installation and reinstalling, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Mike

AK and BB play just fine and nothing was changed with the video or sound drivers. They are all on the same computer. I tried playing off the CD, but it hangs as well. I'm using XP Home, Version 2002 Service Pack 2. The game is installed from a Battlefront edition.

You are performing a full install of CMBO, correct (the "partial" installs are just not a good idea) ? You can possibly try the "compatibility mode" offered by Windows. Right-click on the icon that you lauch CMBO with and go to Properties at the bottom of the menu that pops up. Click on the Compatiblity tab and within the Compatibility mode section select the check-box for Run this program in compatibility mode for: and within the drop-down dialog select Windows 98 / Windows ME.

To be honest this will probably not work since it is primarily geared towards desktop applications and their dialog boxes, etc. What Redwolf mentioned would be the most likely case - an issue with the sound or video drivers. However CMBB and CMAK work fine and they're a bit more demanding of the video and sound hardware than CMBO should be.

Can you provide more details about what the error dialog box says (possibly clicking on some of the links for "technical details" or something to that effect).

When you deleted the Prefs file, did you get prompted with the resolution selection screens at all ? These should pop up before you get any sound from the game. If you are getting them, what are you selecting as your resolution ? Do you know what you run CMBB and CMAK at ?

I wouldn't imagine that CMBO would be any more sensitive to the software enviroment than CMBB and CMAK, but you may want to disable any utilities and apps running in the background (anti-virus, etc.).

[ May 20, 2008, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Schrullenhaft, thanks for your patience! I did do a full install, to no avail. I didn't try the compatibility mode, since CMBB and CMAK continue to work just fine.

The error box reads:

AppName: combatmission.exe

AppModName: quicktime.qts

ModVer 7.4.5.67

Offset: 00b1d49b

There is also a text file (a012_appcompat.txt) that was saved after the error. It contained the the data above, along with 74 sections of data for the modules opened, then a whole bunch of lines of hex code.

With the .prf file deleted, I am asked to specify the screen resolution each time. I do so, then I get the initial drum beats, then it hangs. The .prf file never gets written as I'm asked for the screen choice each time.

I've tried with my anti-virus on and off, but again CMBB and CMAK run just fine.

Any other suggestions?