nVidia nForce2 Unified Drivers

Howdy!

Just trying to figure some things with my new Epox 8RDA+ motherboard and this Windows XP thingie. If you don't mind, I have some questions for my fellow CMers.

I'm using the unified drivers(2.41) that came with the MB, should I upgrade the complete unified drivers to 3.13 or can I just upgrade the display drivers for my GeForce3 Ti200? I tried the latter and the drivers updated correctly, but I lost my sound drivers for the on-board sound. Shouldn't a person be able to update just certain drivers without updating the complete unified driver package?

One other thing, with this unified driver I can't seem to find the screen to set the anti-aliasing and other video card settings. Am I losing my marbles or not?

Sorry, but I'm still trying to figure out this new chipset and Windows XP as compared to my old Windows 98.

Many thanks to any and all replies.

[ April 24, 2004, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Wally's World ]

Q. Shouldn't a person be able to update just certain drivers without updating the complete unified driver package?

Yes, they should. However, installing the Unified Driver package will probably install everything (unless one of the install dialog boxes gives you a choice). Still, the installation routine may not be perfect and upgrading just a part of the package may cause problems (with the unified drivers).

...but I lost my sound drivers for the on-board sound.

There is a separate install utility for the sound drivers available on the NVidia website. Hopefully an installation of these should bring back your sound; otherwise your in for a bit more painful tweaking with your system.

One other thing, with this unified driver I can't seem to find the screen to set the anti-aliasing and other video card settings. Am I losing my marbles or not?

The Unified drivers that you're talking about shouldn't install the video drivers to my knowledge unless your particular nForce motherboard has built-in video (at least that's my assumption). The latest unified drivers (v.3.13) come with the Forceware 52.16 drivers, so you'd probably want to download and upgrade to the 56.72's for your GeForce 3 Ti200.

The antialiasing and other video settings should be found by going to Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced button > GeForce 3 Ti200 tab > here you'll see a pop-out menu to the left of the dialog box go to the listing in that menu that says 'Performance & Quality Settings'. On the dialog box itself you'll now see a listing of settings you can modify under the 'Global Driver Settings' box. Check the 'Show Advanced Settings' box and a few more settings will pop up in that list. The bottom-most box on the tabbed dialog box is where you can adjust each setting (which you select in the Global Driver Settings box) with a slider. Not all settings have a method of modifying them.