Jump to content

Help!!


Recommended Posts

Ok I have a problem with Outlook Express. When I try to open it I get the following error message :

"Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.dll could not be loaded". I did a search and that .dll IS in the Outlook Express folder. Any clues? My OS is Windows ME, and Outlook Express version 6.

[ August 25, 2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: athkatla ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The file may be conflicting with another file of the same name. Search the computer for MSOE.dll. If you have more than one, rename the one not in your Outlook folder to MSOE.bak. If Outlook still doesn't load, try uninstalling the program and reinstalling it. If you have your Windows CD you should be able to add the program from Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Windows Setup. If you don't have the CD, try downloading some of the related Outlook programs here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?

Unfortunately I'm not sure which would fix your problem.

Select Win98 as your Operating System.

Good luck.

BeWary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by BeWary:

The file may be conflicting with another file of the same name. Search the computer for MSOE.dll. If you have more than one, rename the one not in your Outlook folder to MSOE.bak. If Outlook still doesn't load, try uninstalling the program and reinstalling it. If you have your Windows CD you should be able to add the program from Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Windows Setup. If you don't have the CD, try downloading some of the related Outlook programs here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp?

Unfortunately I'm not sure which would fix your problem.

Select Win98 as your Operating System.

Good luck.

BeWary

Hmmm, this doesn't seem to be working, for a start Outlook Express isn't in the Windows Setup part, its in the Main Window when you select Add/Remove programmes. I tried removing it from there, then reinstalling it from IE6, but it's still not working, still getting the same error message. :(
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you done anything recently to your computer, such as removing any programs or reinstalling something ?

One possibility is that the Address Book has been removed (or somehow corrupted). This Microsoft Knowledgebase article describes what to do specifically for OutLook Express 6 in WindowsME (though it still may not be your answer).

As Len pointed out earlier you can find some more potential solutions on Microsoft's Support site (I tried posting the results of a search on 'msoe.dll' but the URL was too long for UBB). Have you run any of the Windows Updates recently ? Many of them are security fixes for IE and Outlook and the updated files may end up fixing your problem by default.

[ August 25, 2002, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Have you done anything recently to your computer, such as removing any programs or reinstalling something ?

One possibility is that the Address Book has been removed (or somehow corrupted). This Microsoft Knowledgebase article describes what to do specifically for OutLook Express 6 in WindowsME (though it still may not be your answer).

As Len pointed out earlier you can find some more potential solutions on Microsoft's Support Site (these particular articles are the results of a search for 'msoe.dll'). Have you run any of the Windows Updates recently ? Sometimes they update files that may end up fixing your problem by default.

I used my computers, Millenium Recovery CD Rom and it hasn't worked since I did that, I think that recovered my computer to its condition when I first got it, WITHOUT re-formatting the hard drive. And I checked to see if the Address Book was checked, and it was!

[ August 25, 2002, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: athkatla ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suggest going ahead and just reinstall IE/OutLook Express 6.0. I'm not sure if these programs can actually be uninstalled without horrendous grief (as is the case with all sorts of MS components built into Windows).

I also suggest installing some of the patches from Windows Update (which may help too). If you reinstall IE 6 run the update afterwards otherwise the update files will be replaced when you do the reinstall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

I suggest going ahead and just reinstall IE/OutLook Express 6.0. I'm not sure if these programs can actually be uninstalled without horrendous grief (as is the case with all sorts of MS components built into Windows).

I also suggest installing some of the patches from Windows Update (which may help too). If you reinstall IE 6 run the update afterwards otherwise the update files will be replaced when you do the reinstall.

Thanks man, I did that and it seems to be ok now apart from the odd error message when I open some emails, something about msmin I think, next time it happens I'll not it down. BTW something for everyone to remember, make sure when installing something like this to close down ALL other programmes, especially your FIREWALL and ANTI VIRUS. It does make a big difference.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...