Scenario Length and Balance?

Hello:

Seems that a lot of scenarios are in the 45 - 60 minute range. This seems to me to really benefit the attacker as they do not need to rush. They use infantry to find the heavy weapons/AFVs, call in artillery, lather-rinse-repeat.

This may be historic but I think the battles should have a shorter timeframe to give the defender better chances - 60 minutes is an awful lot of turns to hold out for.

I am obviously not a great player, being new to the system. Just wondering am I way off base in my thinking?

Thanks,

Gerry

Hello:

Seems that a lot of scenarios are in the 45 - 60 minute range. This seems to me to really benefit the attacker as they do not need to rush. They use infantry to find the heavy weapons/AFVs, call in artillery, lather-rinse-repeat.

This may be historic but I think the battles should have a shorter timeframe to give the defender better chances - 60 minutes is an awful lot of turns to hold out for.

I am obviously not a great player, being new to the system. Just wondering am I way off base in my thinking?

Thanks,

Gerry

Not off base, but as you noted for yourself, you are new to the system. I think what you may find is altering that time would result in the opposite effect as you improve your skills. It will start feeling too short. I have opted in the opposite direction in the PBEMs I have running. For example in one we went from 1 to 2 hours as it didn't allow for tactical recon.

One thing I have found in CMBN is the need to slow down. Infantry fighting in the bocage can be brutally lethal and patience is definitely rewarded. There is also the possibility of imbalance in scenarios depending on play styles and skill that just can't be adjusted for by the designer.

I have another PBEM going on right now of Die Ammis Kommen. We are 1:45 into the 3 hour game and I think on the offense I may need every minute of that. Part of that is due to arrival times of reinforcements but also if forced to rush, the attacker simply gets slaughtered.

If the attacker is too fast, they'll get slaughtered.

If the attacker is too slow, they'll get slaughtered if the defender has enough arty and knows how to use it. So if it's a long scenario, make sure you bring "enough" indirect HE to minimise the attacker's advantage.