super-allied units in abyssinia (1938)

I was doing a decent job of securing Abyssinia, when bam! A 15-strength corp shows up... followed by a 15-strength tank unit.

Does this represent a historical event with actual experienced Allied troops? Or is it a game-balancing thing where some units trained with the Jedi for a few months before attacking?

The Italians had near 500,000 men in north and east Afrika. The British had 60,000 in Egypt.

The British had Modern armor compared to the I-ties, and were motorized.

Wavell and Oconner, attacked, out-flanked, and captured near 200,000 in a very daring

attack that forced Germanys intervention. Those units would represent those superb British

forces, and give you your own personal Beda Fomm.

In Ethiopia it was quite the fight at Keren tilll the I-ties water supply was accidentally

contaminated.......the mass surrender.

If Der Fuhrer had sent six divisons to Afrika instead of two per OKW, you would be speaking

with a different accient!

very different accent.

I have given the Italians quite a few units in Italian East Africa to represent their big force.

I have also put in the super units since the British had no problem to defeat the Italians. But there are a number of tricks to try to beat the.

You have a 2 Italian divisions, upgrade them, when you defeat Abyssinya, try to get a few of your Italian Afircan units good experience and before UK has entered the war you can transport a few German units to Abyssinia.

But it should be very difficult to win for the Axis there.

I have given the Italians quite a few units in Italian East Africa to represent their big force.

I have also put in the super units since the British had no problem to defeat the Italians. But there are a number of tricks to try to beat the.

You have a 2 Italian divisions, upgrade them, when you defeat Abyssinya, try to get a few of your Italian Afircan units good experience and before UK has entered the war you can transport a few German units to Abyssinia.

But it should be very difficult to win for the Axis there.

That makes sense.

Currently, I have baited the AI into over-extending with the armour unit (it is now out-of-supply), and am now whittling it down.

Well, I've given up on the scenario.

It is a remarkable piece of work, immersive due to the historical events and obviously comprehensive and well-researched, but: every time I am poised for a breakthrough on the eastern front, "nnn reserves are activated", and what looked like a more-than-adequate force to take an area is now scrambling for its life because the reserves quite often encompass one or more armour units, some with significant experience.

What, were the tanks just sitting in a depot with highly-trained troops in billets, waiting for officers to unlock and distribute the ignition keys?

I suppose this is a game balance thing to make the eastern front more difficult, but it is entirely frustrating.

The last straw was pushing into the Caucus region to secure the oilfields, only to have yet another armour unit magically appear in Baku and smoke my well-tech'd, adequately-supplied, city-protected (sitting in Poti) paratroop unit. Then the (magic) Tbisli corps took Poti and virtually destroyed my following corps for good measure. And, due to their miracle reinforcements (all the more a miracle because I deliberately cut the rail lines several turns back to prevent the USSR operating units in), Grozny and Baku are now un-takeable.

I will never know what my Amerika-Rakete investment might have turned into.

Yes, it can be frustrating. I have had units pop up in cities or towns which had been bombed to a supply value of zero in my turn. This can even happen in a surrounded city or a city for which all incoming rail lines have been cut. Apparently, the scripts controlling the arrival of the reserves only care about proximity to the tile they are based from and whether or not the tile is in friendly hands. The only antidote to this is to take as many of these tiles as possible before the reserves appear. This can be quite a trick as the scripts seem to fire on proximty to the tile in question. So, you can observe what the trigger distance appears to be or "cheat" a little by going into the scripts and finding out what the range actually is.:D

PS: I haven't done this yet myself because it would take some of the fun out of it for me.:rolleyes:

If Der Fuhrer had sent six divisons to Afrika instead of two per OKW, you would be speaking

with a different accient!

very different accent.

Are you suggesting a German invasion of North America?

This is not realistic.

Where did you get the idea that USA or even Canada was ever in peril?

Even the UK was a long shot in the best circumstances.

Well, i understand that it can be frustrating for reserves poping up all the time, but check the history books, Soviet set up hundreds of divisions (230 new infantry ones after the invasion for the remaining of 1941), i want it to be very very hard to beat the USSR. By the way, if you choose a lower diffiuclt level fewer of these unit scripts will activate. I am not sure i it is too difficult, what do you say out there?

I have tried to be as historically acurate as possible for Oob but for Soviet i have guessed a lot and tried to be in the same ballpark at least. For most of the other countries i have the correct number and names of units. Germany has also many many unit scripts.

For the lastest revisions of the mod, i have tried to tighten up the MPP flow and let the mines and oil wells be more important like they where. I have also put in more scripts where USSR destroys their resources but the Axis have the possibility to repair them like they did. So now Sweden, Romainia, Caucasus, Krivoj Rog, Middle East etc. are more important.

Well, i understand that it can be frustrating for reserves poping up all the time, but check the history books, Soviet set up hundreds of divisions (230 new infantry ones after the invasion for the remaining of 1941), i want it to be very very hard to beat the USSR.

This is a superb piece of work! I think this campaign is better balanced than the Storm Over Europe ( of course in regards to the historical accuracy ). If German player wants to conquer USSR, it should be very hard, nearly impossible task due to the enormous Soviet reserves. Thumbs up!

But it sounds like this is not meant for Multiplayer play, which at this point is all I care about.

Why not just have the Siberian reserves appear near the Urals (Perm or something), and let the Soviet player march or operate them from there? Why make them appear magically in the front lines? I dislike garrison scripts that trigger on proximity.

Any newly built divisions can be handled by purchasing them normally or having a "Kitchener's Army" type event.

Are you suggesting a German invasion of North America?

This is not realistic.

Where did you get the idea that USA or even Canada was ever in peril?

Even the UK was a long shot in the best circumstances.

Glabro, I dont think thats what he meant. I think he meant to say that the German Language might be the lingua franca today.

There are people from all over the world participating in this forum. Many of us are not native English speakers. Yet, we are writting here in English. What events in recent history brought the English language to such a dominant possition?

...I am sure there are many factors, and many events that lead to our current reality. And, in all likelihood, the Allied victory in WWII was one important factor contributing to strengthen the possition of the English language in the international community.

Consider, on the other hand, the prospect of an Allied defeat in WWII. Japan would have emerged as the dominant power in Asia. Germany would be the dominant power in Europe. Italy would have grabed big chunks of Africa. The US would still be the dominant power in North America...

Today, German businessmen travelling to China probably conduct business in English. If the Axis had won, those very same German businesmen travelling to China might conduct their business in German or Japanese.

Why not just have the Siberian reserves appear near the Urals (Perm or something), and let the Soviet player march or operate them from there? Why make them appear magically in the front lines?

Very good point.

Then what is the problem these people are having with Baku, Grozny etc?

Anyway, fair point about German culture, but I since he was responding to a Canadian, that's what I assumed.

It seems that often Americans like to say that they defended their homeland from there when in fact they were saving Europe from foreign domination / influence, mainly Russian!

That includes us in Finland, too - after repelling the Soviet Great Offensive coinciding with Overlord, the Soviets shifted their troops to the German front instead to make it before the Western Allies, signing an Armistice in Finland...so the US helped an Axis ally "win" in a way.

Anyway, I think going to die for others might be even more noble than for your own home, so I'm not belittling the US effort.