Self propelled off map artillery

It's a minor point if at all, but I notice there are no Wespe, Hummel, or M-12 batteries available as off map artillery, probably since we have the same calibre guns available as towed and the in game effect would be the same. BUT in CMSF we did have the M-777 and the Palidin as different type artillery though they had identical calibres. Perhaps if these units were added (the Battlepack module?) as in game vehicles they would then also be available as off map as well. Still it seems like a small thing to add them sooner just as off map. I wonder though should off map self propelled artillery have any real in game difference to the towed versions?

4 in towed btys and 6 in SP btys is correct. I don't know why. JasonC asserts that it's to account for the high breakdown rates of tracked eqpt (ie, allocate each SP Bty 150% in the hope that 100% will be available for any given mission) but that sounds spurious to me.

Nope, my old fruity one.

The Cannon Companies in Inf Regts have 6, but the towed 105mm at division have 4. SP 105mm btys in armd divs (and the indep bns ... and 4th Inf Div) had 6.

Maybe there are 6 to allow for step up? As the SP Guns (and Inf Regt Cannons too) are considered more likely to be on the move, with 6 weapons they could have two moving and 4 static at any time, so they would always be providing the same support as a 4 gun troop???

Maybe there are 6 to allow for step up? As the SP Guns (and Inf Regt Cannons too) are considered more likely to be on the move, with 6 weapons they could have two moving and 4 static at any time, so they would always be providing the same support as a 4 gun troop???

Yeah, that's plausible, although I'm not sure if US btys were manned for split deployments like that.

However, in the case of the Cannon Company I assume it's just a case of providing 2 x 105mm how per bn in the regt. I'm pretty sure the three platoons in the company were organised for indep ops.

BUT in CMSF we did have the M-777 and the Palidin as different type artillery though they had identical calibres.

A quick squint at some Googled pages suggests that the Paladin has a higher maximum RoF than the M-777 but a lower sustained RoF. If that's modelled, there would be a reason beyond 'flavour' to have the different weapons systems available. Having towed and SP carriages for the same tubes in CMBN might enable differences like that to be included. Though how we're supposed to guess about what that might mean in-game, I'm not sure. :)

There is a significant difference in the German TO&E. AFAIK the Sd Kfz 126 (Wespe) and the Sd Kfz 165 (Hummel) batteries had 6 guns each. So please BFC fix this and give us armored artillery for the Germans :)

The towed artillery had 4 pieces per battery.

I believe they will fix it my friend. If I remember, the Hummel and Wespe are planned to make it in the game. I believe they'll also be included on the battlefield itself, not just as off map.. Maybe in the next module, if not I'm almost certain by the 3rd.

Imagine how great this will be by the 3rd module? Brits, Commonwealth? Arnhem? =)

We're gonna have some great battles to come Winkelreid