Uk conquers Belgium - disappearing Belgian unit in Liege

Hi there,

We've encountered a rogue surrender script. UK has conquered Belgium and I had a Belgian Corps defending Liege. However, upon surrender, this corps in Liege disappears as the town changes to UK control. All the other units inside german borders are fine.

Can this situation be remedied somehow? At lest the script cold be amended to avoid this happening? Probably even if I had a German there it would have been lost too.

And nobody better tell me that "because it was inside Belgian borders it's supposed to surrender" - this makes no sense.

Can I send the save over to Hubert or Bill, or can anything be done?

Hi Glabro,

I just looked at the scripts again for Belgium and what is in place is a script for what we call 'Free Units', i.e. modeled after the idea of French units during WWII continuing to fight after French surrender.

In this case the way it works is that if Belgian units make it to safe friendly territory they will continue to fight and not surrender should Belgium surrender. The caveat is that they then fight under the control of their friendly ally and in this case it would be Germany.

The Belgian unit that was caught within Belgium when Belgium surrendered would not qualify in this regard and as a result would indeed surrender.

Hopefully this helps,

Hubert

That is really weird, why surrender in the first place and what makes the units defending the border give up and those outside not? What motivation do the troops that happen to be inside the border as part of a defensive line with other units want to make a hole in that line and jeopardize their side's defensive plans?

I see no reason why the conquerors would "allow" anyone to keep fighting, inside borders or not, if a surrender is to be had, especially since the troops outside the border can simply attack back to their homeland right after the surrender.

It's the thing about surrendering, units give up because their capital(s) have fallen and often at an inconvenient time.

As to units outside the homeland, some historic terms of surrender have included them (a classic example is on the tip of my tongue but I can't recall it at the moment!) but essentially if those forces decide to carry on then there may be little in the way of penalties to prevent them from doing so. De Gaulle's Free French are one of the most famous examples from history.

In this game, the Belgians and Serbs are hardy fighters who will tend to carry on the war if they are on foreign soil when their last capital is taken by the enemy.

But other nations might not be so willing to do the same, e.g. the Montenegrin Army.

The simple answer is that it is a game mechanic and the line has to be drawn somewhere so while in game it might make sense during one game for a Belgian unit to hold out at Liege in another game it might not.

In the end it is difficult or almost impossible to account for every possible situation and this is why there is usually some abstraction.