Help: understanding victory screen

There are 8 VLs in 2 columns (which may or may not be different for each side)

<snip>

Am I correct in my interpretation of this that the VLs are not necessarily the same between the two sides? I realize that many scenarios there are a few VLs and both sides are trying to capture them. But is it possible for one side to have eight VLs to capture and the other side only two? In this case each side has the same number of VLs to capture and that is just because the scenario is designed that way not because it is required that both sides have the same VLs.

Am I correct in my interpretation of this that the VLs are not necessarily the same between the two sides? I realize that many scenarios there are a few VLs and both sides are trying to capture them. But is it possible for one side to have eight VLs to capture and the other side only two? In this case each side has the same number of VLs to capture and that is just because the scenario is designed that way not because it is required that both sides have the same VLs.

AIUI, it's not necessary for either side to have any VLs at all, but either can, so yes, it's possible for one to have x VLs and the other to have y, some or none of which could be co-located or overlapping.