Strange sound loop....help please.

Hey guys, I just bought a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer sound card, and now I have a strange "sound loop" going on in CM. It's a like a 1-second bit of the sound repeats itself every 5-10 seconds, and freezes the mouse. But it doesn't crash, which is a good thing.

I've already updated the drivers for the card, and am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction to solving this glitch.

Thanks,

Mike

What was your previous sound card ? What motherboard and chipset do you have ? The most common problem I hear with the Live's and Audigy's is the 'crackling' sound that occurs with certain chipsets and motherboards. I'm not sure about 'looping' sounds. Do you have sound mods installed ? If so, can you move your current WAV directory and copy the one off of the CD to see if that makes a difference ?

Thanks for the reply.

My previous soundcard was a generic SB clone.

My motherboard has the VIA chipset, it did have onboard sound/graphics which have been disabled.

I updated the chipset drivers and it has improved performance, cutting down on how long the loop lasts to maybe a tenth of a second. Odd.

Sorry Mike - I can't help you, I just want to hijack your thread ;)

I get a weird sound whenever an AFV is knocked out, it sort of sounds like a chicken being throttled. Does anyone know which wav that is, and what is a good replacement for it?

Cheers

JonS

JonS, assuming this is your problem, the chipmunk-style 'Ja' sound occurs when a German gunner kills an enemy AFV. The wav file (00002080.wav) is recorded in 22kHz instead of the proper 44kHz. Use a sound editor (Windows sound recorder should work fine) to change it to 16bit Mono 44kHz. That should do it.

As for the other prob, there may be settings left over in the registry from the previous sound card. Deleting any references to the old card in the registry might help. And I'm not sure if re-installing Direct-X would help or not, but it might.

- Chris

Originally posted by MadMike1:

Hey guys, I just bought a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer sound card, and now I have a strange "sound loop" going on in CM. It's a like a 1-second bit of the sound repeats itself every 5-10 seconds, and freezes the mouse. But it doesn't crash, which is a good thing.

I've already updated the drivers for the card, and am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction to solving this glitch.

Thanks,

Mike

Well I have the same problem. I have Audigy, WinXP and VIA chipset. I don't have the complete cure though. :(

BUT, you can get rid of the loop (at least I did) if you turn the ambient sounds off (shift-S or was it ctrl-S?). You can still hear other sounds, but no bird singing. ;)

Hope this helps.