H2H Helper 1.2.0 (Alpha) available

Hi All,

H2H Helper 1.2.0 (Alpha) is in the H2H Helper Dropbox Share.

The main cool thing about this is that it has a right-click menu with various

things, including "Launch CMBN".

Like "who's turn is it", "Launch CMBN" is a suprisingly trivial-yet-use-it-all-the-time

thing!

You no longer need a shortcut on the desk top or in the task bar - just right click the game and you are launching CMBN. If you have multiple versions of CMBN, you can make it launch the correct one for each game.

GaJ

I think this version is a bit unstable....

It hangs a lot and I've had several instances of having to do a "force quit" and restart ...

I also got a weird error message when I tried to replace 1.3 with H2H Helper 1.2.0 (Alpha)... (see attached)

Regards,

Doug

Edit: unfortunately, this forum only allows me to attach jpg's smaller than 19.5 kb, which is very weird by today' s standards .... any how, I can't show you the error message... :D

Are you on a PC or a Mac? We found a definite issue with the Mac version, and pulled it from the folder.

If you're on a PC, it would be great to find out what's wrong: I'm using the PC version fine.

By far the most helpful thing you could do is to find the log file (the log window tells you where it is, as one of the first messages) and when you have a problem exit H2HH and send us that log file:

HOW TO REPORT AN H2HH Issue:

1) Run H2HH and look at the top of the log window: see where it says its putting its log file.

2) Keep doing stuff till it breaks.

3) When H2HH breaks, get that log file (from step 1) and attach it to

this form,

along with some description of what went wrong. Tell us in gory detail how you made it break.

There's an "attach file" link at the bottom right of the form.

4) Press "OK"

5) Wait briefly for our rapid response :D

Or you could email me, if you can find my email address :)

Thanks heaps for trying the alpha: without people trying it, we won't find out what's wrong!

GaJ

I'm eagerly looking forward to a stable new release for Mac, since the new "launch CMBN" feature is something I've really been hoping for. The H2HH utility is coming along very nicely in a short timespan.

Now, if BFC would just answer our prayers and provide a way to pass savegame and password as command line arguments...

Updated Mac Alpha is up now...

TT

Are you on a PC or a Mac? We found a definite issue with the Mac version, and pulled it from the folder.

Running on a MacBook Pro with OSX Lion ....

I restored old v1.3 and that seemed to fix me up again ....

I have a 38k screen capture of the error screen which Battle Front won't let me attach here as they say it's too big, but I can email it to you if you want it and provide me with an email address, or I can out it in the shared folder you're using for updates?

I also see there's another 1.2.0 (Alpha) for the Mac been put in the shared folder.. should I try that, or wait for the next iteration...

Thanks for your efforts... sure makes it easier to track and maintain multiple games. :)

Regards,

Doug

By all means pop the error screen capture in the shared folder, if that's easiest for you.

We'd love if if you don't mind testing the latest alpha (which is now 1.2.2) ... but we don't want you to have unwelcome hassles. So grab the latest if you're willing to help out, or stick with 1.1.3 if you're happier with a peaceful life :)

GaJ

BadgerDog - Saw your error, that's a new one. :)

Try the new alpha if you get a chance, this time move the previous version somewhere else before copying the new one over. I'm guessing it could have been some kind of issue with copying over an existing app, or maybe the previous app that was posted was missing something.

Thanks for testing...

TT

Glad it's running stable.

We know why it's slow on the Mac (it's not slow on the PC): sorry about that, it will be fixed real soon now.

GaJ

(Can you believe: the reason it is slow is that on the Mac is that the Mac version of the 'library' that we're using to display the log takes seconds and seconds (a long time) just to figure out how many lines of text it has in it. We need this answer so we can make sure the log window doesn't get so much text in it that ... that .... that it ... slows down!! So ironically, we tried to prevent slowing down due to too much text in there, and unexpectedly we got a huge slow down, on Mac only, due to line-counting!!)

Texas 'Mac' Toast just posted 1.2.3 Alpha for Mac, which (fingers crossed) fixes the performance issue.,

1.2.3 Alpha also brings (for Mac and PC) the much-requested "Tidy Up Dropbox" option.

If you CMSF dropboxes are fully of old files and you turn this option on, it will take a little while to run the first refresh, while it tidies up all those files. If you regret tidying them up, you should find them in your Trash/RecycleBin.

1.2.3 also has bug-reporting feature, under "Help".

Enjoy!

TT

GaJ

Just installed 1.2.3 for testing ...

It still seemed very slow to load at first time start-up...

Should that be the case?

Maybe the first time starting up, but it shouldn't be slow after that. If it still seems sluggish, maybe you can send us the log file using the new "Report Bug" feature?

Thanks!

If you CMSF dropboxes are fully of old files and you turn this option on, it will take a little while to run the first refresh, while it tidies up all those files. If you regret tidying them up, you should find them in your Trash/RecycleBin.

I haven't tried this new option yet, but if you guys are moving files to the recycle bin you might want to reconsider. Dropbox archives deleted files for, I think, 30 days. That's how I managed to recover a bunch of files for creation of an AAR. Moving the files to the recycle bin/trash might be a bunch of unnecessary activity that just eats up bandwidth and disk space.

Not sure how other users feel about this though, obviously.

I haven't tried this new option yet, but if you guys are moving files to the recycle bin you might want to reconsider. Dropbox archives deleted files for, I think, 30 days. That's how I managed to recover a bunch of files for creation of an AAR. Moving the files to the recycle bin/trash might be a bunch of unnecessary activity that just eats up bandwidth and disk space.

Not sure how other users feel about this though, obviously.

Not a bad thought. Not sure if it's really an issue though :)

GaJ

Hi.. :)

I've had to give up on testing Mac Alpha 1.2.3 ...

It simply spends far too much time with the "spinning wheel" going and runs unacceptably slower then 1.13 ...

Also, I was getting several occurrences of files that were copied from Drop Box to the Inbox and after it was done, the Inbox version was "0" bytes in size, forcing me to to do a manual copy myself to get the complete file transferred.

I've reverted to 1.1.3 for the Mac and it's working fine at an appropriate speed of operation. I'd be happy to test and future Mac versions that solve these slow running issues.

Thanks for your efforts .. :)

Regards,

Doug

Thanks for the update. Others have also reported that 1.2.3 did not fix the slowdown.

It's a very mysterious thing: the thing that is taking a long time, on Macs only, is deleting excess lines out of the log window! How that can take so long is a mystery. The log window is a standard component, and google reports other developers on Mac having the same problems with it.

So... we'll figure out some workaround and get a new 1.2.x out to you soon.

GaJ

Hi Doug,

Since we haven't been able to figure this out yet, I put up a new Mac version 1.2.8 that has all the cool 1.2.x stuff but doesn't trim the log window entries. Since the log window will work basically the same as in the 1.1.3 version you are using, it should be OK for now.

Thanks for your help and patience.

TT

Thanks ... appreciate that... :)

Started testing 1.2.8 this morning and will advise ....

One thing I noticed right away is that when I sent a "chat" message, the "other info" column didn't change to reflect I had done that and it was sending that message, although the actual text of the chat session shows the addition of what I typed.

Regards,

Doug