SoE – Naval Loop Red Sea to Atl "doesn't"

Not sure if this problem is unique to me or has been already reported/dealt with (had a look but could not see it), but I have encountered a definite problem trying to send naval units from the Red Sea to the North Atlantic. So far I have had a carrier (Ark Royal) and a destroyer (Mohawk) sit on all three arrows for several turns in the Red Sea with absolutely nothing happening.

I don't see this as an earth-shattering problem – the only reason I even tried this is because I really, really screwed up my Allied Middle East defence – but it still seems to be a problem. I do have a saved turn if needed. And, finally this is against the AI (just fooling around a bit, trying to learn the game – overall the Axis AI seems pretty poor in Russia, but it is still capable of pulling the odd surprise...hence my issues in the Middle East!)

Hi Hubert

Thanks for the response - never thought to check scripts for this, as it doesn't really seem logical to me to link these loops with the loss of Suez or Cairo or whatever...naval ships would be more affected by the loss of South Africa, which is kind of hard to represent in this scenario, than by the loss of Suez when it comes to traveling around the Cape of Good Hope.

I should add that there is a sort of bizarre work around in the game, as you can use the loop from the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf, and then take the loop from the Persian Gulf to the North Atlantic. I suppose that probably ends too when Basra is captured, although that again does not make much sense.

I guess I should not be totally surprised, as naval units continue to be penalized with really, really slow movement rates in Storm over Europe. It is quite interesting to see the welcome addition of forced marches to the SC game engine, which provides a useful way to move land units more rapidly, yet then be forced to labouriously spend several turns moving a transport from the east coast of the US (or from Canada) to the UK - the movement rate is FAR slower than historical movement rates for normal troop convoys which moved at a rate of at least 10 knots, and FAR, FAR slower than the movement for large ships such as the Queen Mary which traveled at closer to 20 knots, resulting in a crossing of much less than a week. Using historical rates of movement the MOST it should take is two turns to cross the Atlantic...and that is about half the time it takes now.

my 2 cents.

it would be nice if the use of either of these routes not be tied to owning suez or barsa.

one good reason, is that if the allies can still use these routes even after the loss of the ports, it leaves them the option of using an amphipous landing to recapture those areas.

Thanks for the feedback as there were a few oversights on our part, lots of scripts on this one, and we'll make some adjustments :)

For the naval unit ranges there were a few concerns such as game play, i.e. the possibility of less of a cat and mouse game, and for the AI as greatly increased ranges does unfortunately weigh more heavily on AI calculation speed... but we'll see what we can do.

as far as naval ranges go.

im sure you already thought about this, but how about leaving them as they are, for as you said, tactical reasons and instead just make the trans atlantic loop 2 turns.

this would allow both more realistic trans atlantic travel times and still allow cat and mouse play.