Clearing barbed wire

No, it isn't a taboo subject. BTS/BFC are busy finishing up CMAK right now. Your issue isn't one of a technical nature but of game play mechanics.

There are probably several reasons why the barbed wire is not removed by engineers. I have not made any 'measurements' to determine if engineers make it any easier to pass through ground that was formerly fortified with wire. This may not be the case however in any of the CM's. One other possible assumption is that the wire fortification is a bit more extensive than what is physically represented on screen. Completely removing such a fortification may not be something that engineers would commonly do during the heat of battle (though they should make it a bit easier to pass through).

As mentioned above, hopefully the CMx2 model is a little more detailed for fortifications (and other things).

[ November 11, 2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Yes I got the email, and was meaning to get to it once I had some free time.

There are no taboo subjects, but some things in the game are simply not modeled or at the very least are abstracted.

Breaching through 120 square meters of interconnected barbed wire is something that is simply not modeled in the game engine.

Engineers and their abilities are areas we would like to model with greater fidelity in the future.

Madmatt

Thank you for your answer Madmatt. The reason I placed this in the technical area was that I have always felt the game play mechanics was something I, as a player controlling troops, have some input. Since I "my troops" do not have any input in this area, I felt it was more of a technical problem. However, I still think something could be done in the area of artillery knocking out some barbed wire just as artillery destroys some minefield works.