How well does CM run on the New Macs?

pford

I am curious how well CM diplays on the newer Macs that are using the of Nvidia's card, in particular the new GeForce3. I know that Apple inc. is moving away from RAVE and I don't know how well the new cards handle RAVE. Anyone here who has first hand experiance?

As a side note, would it be posible to open source the graphics portion of CM? This might speed up the conversion to OpenGL.

This game is awesome on iMac. If you buy it, however, in order to see the text during battle, you will need to download the "patch" from the website, if your system is running OS9.0 or less. It is a good idea to use the patch, even if you have OS9.1, as game bugs have been fixed, and some scenarios are updated and enhanced...best wargame I have ever played on the computer.

You may want to email elementalwarre, he's a developer over at Apple and he may get access to a Mac with a GeForce3 in it at some point (he may have to steal it from a lab). Other than that, I think you'd have to wait a couple of months before someone here can actually get a hold of one.

This is NVidia's first foray into the Macintosh market (to my knowledge). If Apple backs them up, like they do ATI, then there's a good chance that the product should perform fairly well. However, with Apple's move towards OSX and OpenGL, there may be no RAVE extensions for this card since it will be expected to be sold with the top end Macs with the latest and greatest of everything. On top of that I don't think NVidia kept any of 3dfx's RAVE developers on staff, so that doesn't bode well for RAVE support.

As for "open sourcing" CM's graphic engine... that would be a mistake for a company as small as BTS. It took Netscape/AOL about two years or so of open source refinements to bring out Netscape 6 and in my opinion it is still a buggy piece of software (though the idea of an open source browser is great - the execution so far hasn't been). And this is a free program - unlike BTS's CM. It would probably take Charles longer to work with some sort of ad hoc group of programmers (who would most likely come and go considering the length of time it would take to recode for OpenGL) in explaining his code than it would for him to transpose/rewrite APIs for the graphics code by himself.

The commercial and legal implications of open sourcing their graphics code would be too much of a burden on BTS (in my opinion). I believe the requests for something somewhat similar (licensing the graphics engine to another developer) were met with a negative response from Steve.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 02-25-2001).]

Well, things are always more complicated than they first appear. Considering the market and priorities from BTS point-of-view, I should be happy that it even runs on a Mac. Spending the time now to convert to OpenGL just to make a small percentage of people happy who have already bought CMBO when there are so many other things to do does not make a lot of sense. I would probably be more successful starting a letter writing campaign to Nvidia or Apple to hire Ray Swartz to carbonize RAVE or write a RAVE -> OpenGL driver.

[This message has been edited by pford (edited 02-27-2001).]

I think we can all lobby BTS to seriously consider OpenGL for at least the Mac version of CMII (hard to say how well this will work for the PC side since Quake and a few other FPS games are what keeps OpenGL support going under Windows - something that Microsoft no longer supports). The problem will be that CMBO & CM2 will both be left as RAVE-based apps. So future RAVE support will be a big issue for anyone adapting some of the latest Mac hardware and OSs, but still wanting to play the CMI engine-based games.

Originally posted by Baboon2:

Well, neither Nvidia nor Apple has hired me, but I hear that Nvidia does indeed have a RAVE driver. I don't know who wrote it nor do I know how well it performs. I'm curious.

-- Ray

Would you like me to write a letter of recommendation to Steve Job? smile.gif Not that I carry any weight, but he has written me back.