In command or not

Several times I have noticed that a squad seems to be out of command (red dot near formation name), but when I check the corresponding HQ unit's unit tab, that squad is shown with a green flag, indicating that it is in command. Which is correct in these situations? Is this a bug?:confused:

Several times I have noticed that a squad seems to be out of command (red dot near formation name), but when I check the corresponding HQ unit's unit tab, that squad is shown with a green flag, indicating that it is in command. Which is correct in these situations? Is this a bug?:confused:

I think there is some confusion.

Whether a squad is in command is displayed above the suppression meter. If there is an icon there (an eye, a radio, etc...) then this means that the squad is in command (not necessarily it's immediate superior).

The green and red dots show the status of the chain of command. If it is all green, that means the squad can relay information all the way to the top. If there is red dot somewhere this means that the squad can't get information to that particular HQ (and hence not all the way to the top because that broken link).

So solve this, click the name of HQ next to the red dot and make sure it's not moving and has enough time to set up its radio.

Finally, the green flag (I'm assuming you are checking the HQ "flags" tab) indicate how much damage the unit has taken and has NOTHING to do with C2.

I do not think that red dot means what you think it means... :)

There have been a few discussions on the showing of in- or out-of-C2, and I think that the red dot/green cross shows the status of the C2 link up-chain of the unit it's next to, so the red dot next to the plt HQ means that the platoon isn't in command.

The flag in the HQ's unit tab doesn't reflect C2 to the squad, either, IIRC, it represents a notional 'status' of the squad.

I fully admit that my understanding of the interface in this regard is shaky, and I may be misremembering some things. I never use this bit.

The one thing I'm certain of is that the actual C2 panel of the interface is accurate and unambiguous. Above the triangular suppression meter are a couple of little icons. The first is for visual C2, the second for audible. The third isn't used in BN, but is a placeholder for 'electronic'/data links from modern era games. Have a look at the manual on page 96 for the various meanings. If I'm in "worrying about C2" mode, I look there.

Purely from my own observations, it seems that the information given on P64 -7 in the manual is incorrect.

A red dot next to the platoon HQ does, in fact, indicate that unit, be it squad or team, is out of command with its platoon HQ not ,as stated, that the Platoon HQ is out of command with its Company HQ.

This can be tested quite easily by placing a squad out of LOS and some distance from the platoon HQ. Make sure the platoon HQ is in LOS and very near the Company HQ.

Click on the Platoon HQ and it will have a green dot (in contact) with the Company HQ. Click on any of the near squads and there will be a green dot next to the platoon HQ - again in contact.

Now go to the distant squad - there will be a red dot next to the platoon HQ - that can only mean it is out of contact with the Platoon HQ. We have already established that platoon is in contact with Company so it cannot mean what the manual says.

I think!

C2 seems to be the most confusing and least understood facet of the game. I have read so many contradictory statements on this forum regarding C2 that I admit I am thoroughly baffled by it. As a consequence, I go blundering through my battles with units out of C2 surely some of the time despite my efforts to the contrary. I've gotten away with it so far simply because aside from slowness in sharing spotting information, it hasn't seemed to make a huge amount of difference, although I can imagine maintaining good order among the troops can potentially suffer.

Michael

Purely from my own observations, it seems that the information given on P64 -7 in the manual is incorrect.

I think!

Yeah, the manual is incorrect (unsurprisingly) and you are absolutely right. That's the way it works, as can be observed quite easily. And not just since CMBN, also for CMSF before. Which makes the wrong statement in the manual all the more puzzling.

Is it time yet for an updated version of the manual, or will that come with v1.10 again :D?