Linux?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but is there even a remote possibility that CMBO might be ported to Linux?

As I'm not a dedicated microclone and I'd much rather use the OS I normally do for most tasks, I'd like to see a linux version, if at all possible.

The only reason why I bother with windoze is CMBO at the moment. I don't utilise it for anything else. All my other work is done under linux.

tux.gif

I don't expect a dedicated Linux port any time in the near future. The engine rewrite, CMII (which will begin once CMBB/CM2 is completed) will probably be done in OpenGL for the Mac (and quite possibly the PC, but it may remain DirectX), since this will be necessary for OS X compatibility. This is probably at least two years away.

The work towards OS X compatibility is the closest to native Linux support that CM may achieve. I'm not sure how similar the two are/will be, but I don't think that BTS will provide the source code that would be necessary for compiling to support the respective libraries of each OS. BTS isn't looking to be an OpenSource development house and as a game developer that would probably lose them revenue (they have a comparitively small market compared to FPSs, etc.).

Your next bet after this would be WINE, but I believe that it will be quite awhile before it can fully support 3D DirectX games to the level that Windows (Win-doze, however you like it) will and this will most likely be necessary in order to run CM and its future incarnations if BTS decides to remain with DirectX code.

Why stop at Linux ?! I want CM on AS/400, s/390, BeOS. And also MS-DOS. Is there a possibility that CM will work on these ssytems ? They are a lot more stable than Windows and I am just bored with Windows. I am a pale-face friendless virgin geek and I like to hack everything on different platform, but Linux is for looser geeks. Please port CM on some true geek OS, 'cause we are bored !

Windows SUXX ! Geekland RULEZ !