Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CD Missing, It's in the drive, and Compatibility is NOT Enabled

Thanks, Wicky...I realized my problem; I'm an idiot. =o) I had problems with text formatting on my initial boot-up, so I went ahead and installed the v 1.12 patch on CDV's CMBO...which causes all the problems. Duh = me.

Now, here's another problem. I can't replace the files as suggested by Schrullenhaft off the CD, as when I try to search the CD, the only file WinXP recognizes is the "install.exe"

Am I stuck deleting the game and re-installing? For some reason, the install process took almost an hour on my 1.2 ghz Athlon w/ 256 RAM...More accurately, the install process took only a few minutes, but the CD seemed to just spin and spin for twenty, twenty-five minutes before the Install program box popped up.

I'm fairly illiterate when it comes to tech issues, so if someone sees something hilariously stupid I've done, I'd appreciate the smack-upside-the-head.

Thanks, all.

Try copying the install.exe to your HD and running the reinstall again, make sure you delete everything previously installed beforehand. Should be a bit quicker but CMBO shouldn't take too long to get up and running. Is it the Special Edition?

Don't worry you'll soon be up & running smile.gif and venting your frustrations out on Tiggers or vice versa ;)

Originally posted by Quietone:

Thanks, Wicky...I realized my problem; I'm an idiot. =o) I had problems with text formatting on my initial boot-up, so I went ahead and installed the v 1.12 patch on CDV's CMBO...which causes all the problems. Duh = me.

Now, here's another problem. I can't replace the files as suggested by Schrullenhaft off the CD, as when I try to search the CD, the only file WinXP recognizes is the "install.exe"

Am I stuck deleting the game and re-installing? For some reason, the install process took almost an hour on my 1.2 ghz Athlon w/ 256 RAM...More accurately, the install process took only a few minutes, but the CD seemed to just spin and spin for twenty, twenty-five minutes before the Install program box popped up.

I'm fairly illiterate when it comes to tech issues, so if someone sees something hilariously stupid I've done, I'd appreciate the smack-upside-the-head.

Thanks, all.

Wicky's advice should hopefully do the trick for you. My advice (I haven't looked at the link, but I can guess what it was) was originally intended for the BFC/Internet version of the game (which was playable directly off of the CDROM). The CDV/Special Editions of the game are quite a bit different in their installers and executable.

It's possible that your CDROM/DVD drive has some problems with whatever copy protection CDV is using. In the past they've used SafeDisc and occasionally some drives didn't work with it very well since its anti-copy mechanism is some intentionally badly-written sectors/cylinders. Typically most drives should be able to read it, but it ends up being a major problem for CD copiers. My guess is that your drive is making multiple passes at the data on the disc to read it - and eventually it is successful.

If you have a DVD-ROM or CDRW drive, you may want to check the manufacturer's website for any 'firmware' updates to see if this may improve the performance of the drive for some copy protection schemes. CDROM-only drives usually don't have updateable firmware (but some do). More than likely if you have a CDRW-type drive most of the firmware updates will be geared towards recording bugs and media compatibility rather than reading certain copy protection formats (which your drive seems to be doing successfully, albeit slowly).