XP doesn't see the CD

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to Windows XP, and now i'm unable to play CMBO. I never had such a problem : when i run CMBO, the game starts, proceeds fine to main menu and...

It asks me to put the CD in the drive !!!

Of course, the CD *is* in the drive. Hey, how does he figure i juste installed the game ? ;)

Is there a simple answer to this one ? Many thanks...

--

Cafard

Hi Cafard,

I have the same problem like you. Did you install into another directory other than the default? I got the same message as you did. WHen I reinstalled into the default directory on C:, the problem went away (you can see my post a few scrolls down the forum list). I'm still wondering how to install to another directory other than the default.

Alan :(

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your answer. Indeed, i installed the game in e:\program files\CMBO

This is too bad cause i doesn't have many space left on C:...

Anyway, i'll try to create a link called 'CMBO' in c:\program files\ and see if the trick does it. I'll tell you tomorrow. If not, well, i'll have some Partition Magic fun...

Thanks & Bye.

--

Cafard

Don't know if XP does this, but sometimes Win98 tells me I don't have the CD in the drive when I do. This usually happens when I recently changed CD's. To fix this, I have to open My Computer, right-click on the CD drive, select Eject, and re-close the tray. Then i hit F5 to refresh the screen and it correctly shows the CD in the tray.

Maybe that'll work for XP too.

BeWary

I have been running XP for quite some time and have never seen this problem... I've also installed the game into a non default dir, so that's not the problem... at least it's not a usual problem. I wonder... Have you by chance changed drive letters on your CD? Is you shortcut for the cm exe specifying a path other than the insall dir? Have more than one CD drive?

Oh, and BeWary had an excellent sugestion. Try refreshing your CD-Rom drive. You dln't have to actually eject, just click on it so thatthe contents are displayed.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Compassion ]</p>

Well, CM still doesn't see the CD, even if :

- I never changed the DVD-ROM drive letter (always have been H smile.gif

- I only have one CD/DVD drive (this one)

- WinXP correctly displays the contents of the disc, can refreshes it, etc...

- The shortcut correctly points to my install directory

That's too bad since everything worked fine on exactly the same config under win98. I did not try to install the game on C: since the drive does not have enough free space. When i'll get partition magic, i'll try this one, but actually, i just CAN'T play CM, doh...

I suspect my girlfriend to be linked to this malfunction, hum... ;)

--

Cafard

Hmmm, i don't remember exactly the model of the DVD-ROM and motherboard, i'll see at home (hell, i'm working now, or almost ;) ).

As stupid as it could sound i did not get the idea of running Windows update on my WinXP. Now THAT's an idea, i'll proceed to this tonight, hope it'll work.

Many thanks !

--

Cafard

Windows XP Update has a patch for CDR/CDRW's, but I have no idea if that would affect their reading of a standard CDROM. If you could be real specific on which model of DVDROM you have that would help. Some drives have had firmware updates for XP, but not many.

This is an issue that several people have run into. For some the answer ended up being exchanging their CDROM/DVD drive for another model that didn't experience this problem. Hopefully there is a firmware update for your drive that may fix this problem (but, unforunately, most likely not).

Do you happen to know if you are loading real-mode drivers for your DVD ? Typically they are unloaded when Windows detects the drive, but it is a possibility that they may be causing some sort of interference if you are loading them (CONFIG.SYS).