What is an XO team?

I see them as a 'spare' in the chain of command. If for whatever reason you need someone with some authority around, but can't spare any other HQs - the XO is there. Sometimes he directs light mortars left behind in the advance, sometimes guarding a lonely ATG, other times he might be found following attacking troops playing the 'beater' - trying to encourage cowering sections to rally; etc.

Not sure just how much they make up for the absence of a unit's direct-superior, but I play like they make a difference anyway.

Pretty much how I use mine as well. That and as a triage/buddy aid medic if it is safe to do so.

In a related topic, I'm gonna have to throw my vote down as one of the people who'd love to see a true medic unit in the game. Make them unarmed but give them the ability to actually cut down on your KIA's or perhaps give them a higher chance of making moderately injured soldiers into the light injured category. This would reflect their higher training in treating injuries and keeping more combat capable GI's in the fight. We don't need strechers and vehicles to reflect any of this but having a medic unit that you can attach to either a front line unit or HQ I think would be a really useful feature and just add that much more immersion. Whether that's doable/codeable I have no idea, I just play the game. :)

The point is that because we use medic aid way more often that XO's, 2IC's and HQ Support units, it should be easy to make those excess HQ units medic teams that we would actually use and be useful.

No, we don't need stretcher bearers... that can all be abstracted in the same way that surrendering enemy get they white flag and then disappear. WIA guys simply disappear as well. We just need medic units rather than all the comparatively useless HQ units that we are "unrealistically" forced to use as medics.