What is an XO team?

I thought "XO Team" stood for "Kisses and Hugs Team". I was under the impression it was some sort of WW2 hearts and minds team. I kept running them straight up to the German lines trying to engage the enemy in a manly embrace and back slap... and every time all they got was a grenade in the teeth.

Damn.

It's ironic that CM2 has given us a plethora of XO's, HQ support, 2IC and ammo bearer units etc which are not that useful and kinda just add complication rather than gameplay. But, the unit one requires the most is a Medic/Corpsman to go tend to the WIA.

What players do is use those excess HQ units as Medics in any case. So, why not exchange the excess HQ units (which could be abstracted as in CM1) and replace em with Medics. Especially since imo, the ability to tend to your WIA and reduce ones KIA is arguably the most innovative aspect of CM2.

the ability to tend to your WIA and reduce ones KIA is arguably the most innovative aspect of CM2.

Yeah man I agree. For cmsf BFC stated they didn't want to put ambulance vehicles in as it was not in the scope of a cm battle, but I always thought it would have been quite realistic as A) modern Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq place massive emphasis on evacuation of wounded from the field as fast as possible and B) this would have made an interesting game aspect as a weakness for the 'invincible' blue units. But anyway, medic teams would be a really cool addition to the series, although if it adds on 20,000 years of development time to code then I'll happily stick with the game as it is.

I dunno if it's Star Trek terminology. "XO" was certainly a term that was in use in the USMC, circa 1980-2007. In essence, he takes on the administrative and logistical aspects of command at the company, regimental and battalion level so the commander can focus on commanding.

It was kind of a running joke that the XO got all the dirty details and none of the glory.

I use my XO teams as medics, but also as scouts or FOs, and when enemy armor shows up the bazooka in the vehicle can make the XO team an AT team.

I'm glad to see the XO in the game, as well as the HQ support teams. They add historical flavor, some flexibility and can be pretty useful in a pinch.

I mostly favor company sized battles, so I can understand how all the extra teams could seem like too many cats and dogs to the virtual battalion commander.

The XO teams that I have had didn't have radios so I made anti tank teams out of them with the weapons in the halftracks. Kinda gamey? The Support teams that I have had were radio equipted so I made FOs out of them. Also kinda gamey? But not much else to do with them.

Kinda gamey?

No, actually. You're always reading about marching band, cooks and gravedigger units being hurridly seconded to the infantry as cannon fodder to make up for gaps in manpower. In Saving Private Ryan, wasn't that weasly little guy nobody likes pulled from the XO typing pool? :)

The XO teams that I have had didn't have radios so I made anti tank teams out of them with the weapons in the halftracks. Kinda gamey? The Support teams that I have had were radio equipted so I made FOs out of them. Also kinda gamey? But not much else to do with them.

Terrible waste of a team that could form a new HQ if the CO team gets taken out. If they don't have a radio, keep them in a vehicle equipped with one.

No, actually. You're always reading about marching band, cooks and gravedigger units being hurridly seconded to the infantry as cannon fodder to make up for gaps in manpower. In Saving Private Ryan, wasn't that weasly little guy nobody likes pulled from the XO typing pool? :)

I think he was part of the S2 (Intelligence) team, Hanks got him because he had lost his German speaker.

Terrible waste of a team that could form a new HQ if the CO team gets taken out. If they don't have a radio, keep them in a vehicle equipped with one.

Hello akd, Answered my own question, at least partially. The game does model the XO team taking over from company headquarters. The label of the XO team changes to company headquarters if the company commander is killed. But the icon for the XO team does not change, just the title changes. So yes the XO team needs to be parked somewhere out of danger, just in case. I wonder if the leadership qualities of the new company commander is conveyed to the platoons under his command? Then there is the "Operations Team", do they have a use in the game?

I see them as a 'spare' in the chain of command. If for whatever reason you need someone with some authority around, but can't spare any other HQs - the XO is there. Sometimes he directs light mortars left behind in the advance, sometimes guarding a lonely ATG, other times he might be found following attacking troops playing the 'beater' - trying to encourage cowering sections to rally; etc.

Not sure just how much they make up for the absence of a unit's direct-superior, but I play like they make a difference anyway.

Hello akd, Answered my own question, at least partially. The game does model the XO team taking over from company headquarters. The label of the XO team changes to company headquarters if the company commander is killed. But the icon for the XO team does not change, just the title changes. So yes the XO team needs to be parked somewhere out of danger, just in case. I wonder if the leadership qualities of the new company commander is conveyed to the platoons under his command? Then there is the "Operations Team", do they have a use in the game?

"Operations Team" has the Battalion exec. in it and works the same.