LOS from waypoint

High light a way point and you can check the LOS from that way point to another given point, good feature, but I think that it would be much more use full if the LOS bar originated from the way point in question rather than from the present position of the unit. This would enable you to find a hull down position with ease and also to check the LOS from the way point to all other map co-ordinates by utilizing the color change of the LOS bar across the terrain from the way point and you could at the same time identify the terrain feature that is blocking LOS. How hard this would be to program I have no idea. Hope I worded this to where it is at least half way understandable. Thoughts about this from other forum members?

High light a way point and you can check the LOS from that way point to another given point, good feature, but I think that it would be much more use full if the LOS bar originated from the way point in question rather than from the present position of the unit. This would enable you to find a hull down position with ease and also to check the LOS from the way point to all other map co-ordinates by utilizing the color change of the LOS bar across the terrain from the way point and you could at the same time identify the terrain feature that is blocking LOS. How hard this would be to program I have no idea. Hope I worded this to where it is at least half way understandable. Thoughts about this from other forum members?

Why is that? Although the LOS line start from the unit, its "colour" is accurate for the highlighted waypoint. Except for it being less confusing I don't see any added functions. Unless I don't understand you of course :).

Why is that? Although the LOS line start from the unit, its "colour" is accurate for the highlighted waypoint. Except for it being less confusing I don't see any added functions. Unless I don't understand you of course :).

Hello stikkypixie, lets see if I can explain it better. The color may be correct but if LOS is blocked I can't determine what terrain feature is blocking LOS because the color bar is originating from the present position of the unit rather than from the new position, therefor it isn't shown traveling over the same terrain as it will be when the unit is at the way point.

High light a way point and you can check the LOS from that way point to another given point...

I am not yet convinced that this actually works. My reason for saying that is that the range given to the end point is measured from the current position of the unit rather than from the waypoint. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Michael

I am not yet convinced that this actually works. My reason for saying that is that the range given to the end point is measured from the current position of the unit rather than from the waypoint. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Michael

It mostly works. You can't check range without doing some rough-and-ready trig, and you can't tell where a given obstruction starts to block LOS from the waypoint. Sometimes it'll tell you porkies if there's some stance change involved, but that's usual. But it certainly works in 'broad brush'. Try having a unit standing one AP away from a bocage: its LOS will be only slightly past the hedge. If you plot a waypoint up to the bocage, the view from that waypoint will usually accurately reflect what the infantry can see once they get there. Or for even more contrast, stick 'em behind a high wall and plot a waypoint that takes them out into the open. They can then see what was previously hidden behind the wall.

It mostly works. You can't check range without doing some rough-and-ready trig, and you can't tell where a given obstruction starts to block LOS from the waypoint. Sometimes it'll tell you porkies if there's some stance change involved, but that's usual. But it certainly works in 'broad brush'. Try having a unit standing one AP away from a bocage: its LOS will be only slightly past the hedge. If you plot a waypoint up to the bocage, the view from that waypoint will usually accurately reflect what the infantry can see once they get there. Or for even more contrast, stick 'em behind a high wall and plot a waypoint that takes them out into the open. They can then see what was previously hidden behind the wall.

Okay. That sounds reasonable. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Michael

Okay. That sounds reasonable. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Michael

It's incredibly useful in WeGo for setting targets for units at the end of their movement path, or even in the middle of it. It has to be 'pretty close' cos it's the targetting tool :)

Hello stikkypixie, lets see if I can explain it better. The color may be correct but if LOS is blocked I can't determine what terrain feature is blocking LOS because the color bar is originating from the present position of the unit rather than from the new position, therefor it isn't shown traveling over the same terrain as it will be when the unit is at the way point.

I knew there was something I didn't get :). I usually move the line back and forth to see where the obstacle is. It's not optimal though.

Michael

Hello Michael, I've used this several times, I wasn't concerned about the range, so you may well be correct, just the LOS and the LOS has proven to be accurate.