Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tried all nvidia drivers, but the game is still slow

i realize this is no consolation, but i don't get particularly great performance on my notebook

i'm on the nvidia chip set one generation prior to the one you're running and in cmbb it's rather choppy

while it runs cmbo pretty well

which is why i tend to stick to my desktop for running the game - that and the fact that everything looks better on a 21in sony than it does on a 14in lcd ;)

Thanks for the compassion guys- I'm absolutely desperate now- I used the nvidia file remover, updated directx, and tried out tons of different nvidia drivers. Still no improvement... Somehow the issue seems connected with the display of target and movement lines and unit sockets- if there are many of these around, the performance gets even worse.

I lowered down everything- the amount of soldiers displayed, the tree density, i even installed a low res grass set- and although there is a slight improvment the game is still unplayable. AND I JUST GOT A GOOD INTERNET CONNECTION FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!!! :mad:

Don't know much about my Chipsets- but it's a Toshiba Satellite notebook, Windows XP with directx 9b.

How big of a scenario are you looking at (points or size of the map, etc.) ? Just how low is your frame rate ? I suggest using FRAPS to determine your frame rate. Anything over 10 should be OK for most situations. Realize that you are not going to get anywhere near the rates that FPS games have.

Having a lot of buildings on the map (something that you can't change with the display options) will affect your frame rate quite a bit too in addition to the other settings that you can change.

How many different Detonators versions did you try ? I don't know how far back you can go for GeForce FX support, not to mention 'Go' chipsets. Are these downloads from Toshiba or other sources ? Are you running these comparisons on AC power ?

I used a self made scenario in the smallest size that was possible, without any trees, steppe, bushes or anything- the only units were a tiger and a t34 and the framerate was still way below 10fps. I got the impression, that the game was also considerably slower in the map editor when I changed the size of the map for instance. I'm using the newest nvidia drivers right now, but believe me- I tried all of them!

While laptop versions of graphics chips don't have the performance of their desktop cousins, you shouldn't have had such poor showing with the test you conducted, in my opinion.

Do you have anything running in the background ? I suggest 'killing' any programs that are running to make sure nothing else is interfering. You may also want 'kill' any power saving programs that are loaded up too, just in case they are doing something that is interfering. I also suggest disconnecting any USB/Firewire/Parallel devices and any PC Cards that are inserted to see if they are possibly causing problems too.

Well i have Nvidia Geforce2Ti, amd duron1100, 256ddr mem & windows xp (and CMBB) and it works fine(Now anyway, after going through patches)

apparantly, if your an xp user and you have an Nvidia card there is a bug (XP has more bugs in it than a rainforest( which is what you get when you get a rush-released, untested piece of sh*te that xp is: i was a 98 user prior, never had any probs with it, p.s. dont belevie the hype, xp & 98 are practicly the same, bar a few new features), anyway, rant over.

If you go to windows update there is a driver fix there for Nvidia drivers, solved my problem so should do yours (if ur an xp user :(

Incidently, im switching over to ATI, there range is far better performing (i had one proir to Nvidia), cheaper & MORE RELIABLE!!! my card is currently f***ed, the fan seized up on it, resulting in a fried card, pc crashing consantly on startup as a result (60 bootup attempts each time i want to use my pc on average, plus inability to play CMBO/CMBB :( (as it locks up whenver it does any 3d applications)

All HAIL the MIGHTY! ATI!!!!!!

(boo,Boooo!!!! hiss Nvidia!)