Elite difficulty question

To me this is a complete bug. I realized this in a PBEM after I couldn't understand why my opponet was targeting my hq units?? I was saying, how does he know that is an hq unit,

LOL I didn't...as far as I know I haven't deliberately targeted any units (but one)...just area fire on suspected positions. I've been letting my guys target on there own. The only unit I know of that I specifically targeted were those dudes camped up on the hill...I don't think I knew what they were until after I killed them...their position alone, clear view of most of the map, was a death sentence regardless of their rank. They actually lasted longer than they should have...I think they lived peaceful non harassed lives for a couple turns before I realized what was what. Any guy/guys in an elevated area with a nice wide view of the environs is up to no good and deserves lots of shrapnel and bullets!

As a player I don't usually click on units to see what they are 'cause it blows the reality for me. So as far as any other HQs being shot at it's pure coincidence. LOL but thanks for the intel!

But, yeah, I agree, we shouldn't have any info in the ID box besides Soldier or whatever...least of all what squad they are and their experience and all that. We had a big discussion in the CMSF forum a few months or so before CMBN was released and Steve said they were gonna try and get more generic IDs in, eventually. Until then, to retain Fog players should not look at the unit info box if they target an enemy icon...only work around I can think of.

To another point...

And it's not always a given that a player will know what a unit is just be looking at it on the map. I've seen gun positions show only one soldier when spotted 'cause that's all my guys could see of the crew...wasn't until a few turns later they spotted the whole thing.

Mord.

Please point me to the manual location where it says that??

It's pretty clear in the manual, "elite adds a level of difficulty to the game where units are represented as soldier icons...."

There is nothing there that even implies that, oh and by the way," it's completely circumvented by clicking on those generic icons and finding out exactly what that unit really is, we just wanted to provide a few more meaningless clicks to your game experience. "

Please give me a break. I'm sure steve would agree that it's broken and it's NOT behaving the way he intended it to. Therefore it's a BUG!!

So, why waste the time, play warrior level and then I don't need to click twenty more times in a game, that's a better experience.

Page 61. It only refers to the icons.