Anti-tank mine frustration

Hi guys,

Yesterday I was playing Courage and fortitude last scenario (very nice campaign btw).

--little spoiler bellow--

And really got frustrated with the outskirt of the town being mined to death.

First of all, I find it weird that my engineer are unable to spot AP-mines unless some one dies/gets injured on it.I made them walk,crawl,hunt across the minefield and they never found any mines until my full rifle squad crossed the minefield and lost a few guys on it. But I can conceive that it can be hard to spot little mines buried into the ground especially in combat.

But the situation regarding AT-mine is worse , it seems it is impossible to spot them before a vehicle drives on it (and dies in the process). I find particularly annoying that you can't do anything about AT-mines except losing vehicles on it.

Also I lost a sherman driving down a road (that had been previously been inspected by engineers which didn't found anything on it). How did the Germans manage to dig a mine under a road ? I mean even if it was a gravel road you can't bury the mine without leaving a visible patch of dirt over it.

So how do you guys deal with AT-mines ? is there way to revel them without loosing a vehicle ?

thx for reading.

A quick test:

Two platoons of Elite +2 US engineers searching for 10 AP and 10 AT mines on various ground types, including dirt road and cobblestone

All 10 of the AP mines were found at the price of three casualties in two detonations. Eight mines were found without casualties that is. I used Hunt and Slow for the search in this case so I cannot comment on other movement orders.

In this short test I observed no obvious differences in ease of spotting depending on the ground type.

With these troops the marking of the mines was instantaneous, zero seconds delay and the mine marker was white, in all ten cases.

However none of the AT mines were found. Absolutely no indication even after sitting, Hunting and Slowing over them for 30 minutes.

M.

It's funny I just played a quick battle in HvH with my friend and this time I ran in the opposed issue.

I had placed two set of AT-mine in front of a bridge he had to cross with his panzers, and to my huge disappointment 1 panther ,1 StuH and 1 tiger crossed the bridge and drove on the mines with none of them exploding. Man that was disappointing! Guess it's either too much or not enough depending whether you're on the receiving end or not :)

It's funny I just played a quick battle in HvH with my friend and this time I ran in the opposed issue.

I had placed two set of AT-mine in front of a bridge he had to cross with his panzers, and to my huge disappointment 1 panther ,1 StuH and 1 tiger crossed the bridge and drove on the mines with none of them exploding. Man that was disappointing! Guess it's either too much or not enough depending whether you're on the receiving end or not :)

It's possible that the Kitties set the mine off to no ill-effect that you could detect; at least, ISTR that occurring in one of the VAARs pre-launch. And the StuH just got lucky... :)

Anyway, we're not worried about mines' chance of killing stuff, more engineers chance (or complete lack of it in the case of AT) of spotting mines.