Mortar ammo halftrack

I have a mortar deployed wich is running out of ammo and a halftrack with ammo close by.

How can they receive ammo. The mortar has no ammo bearer crew and never had one.

Does the halftrack need to be very close to the mortar for it to share its ammo?

Can I board the halftrack with a scout team and they will get the needed ammo.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Cheers!

Ammo sharing between units is, I believe, limited to units in the same organization. Any old unit grabbing the ammo may not share it with the mortar team. A better way to get them the ammo is for the mortar team to load into the halftrack and acquire it themselves.

My tests show that you need to be on the same action spot, or one or two action spots distant. And in the same platoon (or section, if the platoon is divided up) for ammo sharing to work. Sending the team into the track to pick up some bombs seems like the most direct way of resupplying to me.

So they way to envision this is that the mortar team commander, having run low or out of ammo, says "Hey, let's breakdown our equipment and all go back to get some more ammo, then we'll come back here and try to set everything back up just they way it was and resume shooting."

no one said the game can do everything correctly

I realize that, but it also means that players need to keep in mind when making plans that they may have to pull mortars out of position and return them and this will affect the tactical planning.

Or they could keep the section track with the section mortar and just have the ammo dished out to the mortar crew at need. And manage the fire missions to keep depletion rates somewhat even, so that you don't end up with one empty tube/track pair that needs to scav off the other sections.

It's a bit of an artefact, really, IIRC, since the mortar is supposed to be fired from within the track, but BFC couldn't get the code to do that working and still have the game out when they wanted us to have it. I think I recall Steve saying it's something they'll work on for later in the WW2 series. At that point, I'd guess the ammo sharing will stop completely, in the same way that Shermans can't share ammo amongst the platoon in a given scenario...

IIRC in CMSF you could take too much stuff and some of it would disapear, cause they couldnt carry it so they just left it in that dimensional rift or what have you. Does this still happen? It only seemed to be when you did something kinda silly anyway like try to give 3 guy 9 AT4s or what have you.