First Turn Artillery QB ME

The deployment zones on most maps are too small. I can understand it for attack and assault but for ME it's just silly.

Agreed. With the small setup zones (especially some of the attack maps), the defender can crush the attacker with turn 1 arty. A simple solution is to agree on no first turn arty on setup zones for MEs or on the attacker for Attacks.

I'm responsible for all the setup zones for every QB map in the game. Serious attention was made to each maps setup zone. I used three criteria:

1. Type of the map and orientation of the setup areas (Example E-W map edge or NW-SE map corners.

2. LOS/LOF of the setup zones

3. Available space for Maximum amount of unit a specific map size can reasonably handle

I really don't think I can do much more than I already did to maximize the setup areas.

If I understand the concept of a ME you do not have the opportunity to set up broadly in advance, you are in the "advance to contact" moment just prior to contact. Larger deployment zones would seem to indicate being past the initial advance to contact and not the intent of the battle designer. Then again, I am probably wrong. I'll just go back to playing and shut my mouth.

MarkEzra,

I think the maps and setup areas are excellent. However first turn artillery in QB ME is just silly. How would you know the exact moment the enemy would be there? I understand first turn on assault or attack, but ME is just daft.

Don't see why either force should get the heavy stuff in a ME. Maybe the small on map mortars. It's all about a 'hasty deployment' situation, right?

Good point. "No off-map assets" or "Only organic." (right term?) could be a good agreement for MEs. Plenty of death-from-above in other engagement types.

AFAIK first turn barrages only occur when the AI has a spotter unit with a valid LoS to the designers "support fire" target area during the first turn (and Some Arty/mortar assets, obviously) so with a little imagination such fire can be attributed to Intel.....

The only problem is that when starting up a QB and there are obvious choke points in front of the set up zone it is wise to sit tight until any barrage is incomming (I haven't encountered a map where the support fire actually targets the set up zone, yet...)

It would be more interresting if the support fire zones could be set up by the designer to be activated after a time lapse.

David

I've had the AI drop pre-planned arty on me when I started behind a hill - no LoS from their deployment zone to mine, and the arty hit at just the right point outside my deployment zone to catch my inf running up the hill on the first turn... killed 80% of the whole platoon...

I'd like to see the option to do this removed for Meeting Engagements too, can understand its' use on Assaults, etc., but for an ME it has the ability to unbalance the game.

If, due to the way the code works, this can't be done - I'd vote to completely remove the pre-planned turn 1 barrage from all QBs

(and is the cost of the US rockets a bug? they seem to be waaaay too cheap...)

I've had the AI drop pre-planned arty on me when I started behind a hill - no LoS from their deployment zone to mine, and the arty hit at just the right point outside my deployment zone to catch my inf running up the hill on the first turn... killed 80% of the whole platoon...

Good for me! I'm glad it happened! It's what's supposed to happen when you play the AI and rush out into "safe" territory. So why am I over-joyed?

First ask yourself this: "How Do I KNOW the AI can't see me?"

And here is your only viable answer: The Human Player is a Cheater.

He has Total Map Borg ability, he has the knowledge that there are "Zones" to setup in and space between him and the enemy, he knows it's OK to rush ahead and get to that really safe location on the map to dismount and organize his attack.

The AI knows NONE of this. When the AI attacks it moves with no assurance of "zones" or security. The AI is ALWAYS on the alert and moves with the certainty it's next step is into an ambush.

So I disagree with those who would limit the AI's ability to fight the crafty Human.