ATG Question

All the information I have states that all US tank Destroyer Battalions ( Towed ) Hit the beach at Normandy equipped with 3" ( 76mm ) M5 trail guns. Thats not to say that some 57mm guns could not have found there way in to battalion inventories as replacements at some point or another. Is it possible that we could see the 3" M5 make its appearance in CMBN in a later module ?

Regards

Walt

No, since it's in the base game. ;)

Maybe you haven't seen it in any scenarios, but open up the editor and fiddle around with a US Towed AT unit--the 76mm M5 is definitely in there.

It's there and it works pretty durned good. In fact it tends to give the US something of an excessive advantage when I put it in my experimental scenarios, though this might be for reasons that have nothing to do with the AT gun itself, but rather with the fact that if I put in the 3-inch AT:

1) the US is defending

2) the AI is attacking

3) I position the 3-inchers before the battle

4) they always get sandbag defenses

5) I check up on them, bring them ammo, fire smoke, bring up MGs to cover them etc.

Under those circumstances the 3-incher is the ultimate weapon -- so much so that I find the 57mm much more fun. When you go hunting Panthers with the 57, you are out on a limb.

Excelent...thanks. tried to set up a QB the other day but the only gun listed as available under tank Destroyer battalions towed was the 57mm for some reason.

Regards

walt

Sounds odd. They turn up in the editor and I don't do quick battles very much so that's news to me.

Ok....I figured it out. just went back and rechecked,its the rarity settings.Set at strict I am getting all 57mm's. The lower the rarity setting the more 76's show up. For tank Destroyer ( Towed ) battalions it is showing the 57mm as standard , in reality the 3" M5 was the standard gun. Of course in the infantry regiments it would be the other way around.

Regards

Walt

hvdj6x.jpg

I saw that this morning when I restarted the game. I didn't have it last night nor did I have any 76mm showing up in the oob with the rarity set to strict, I didn't think to change the rarity settings at the time. The 76mm should be the default gun for those battalions. Thats what they were equipped with. Now if you are talking infantry regimental anti tank assets then the default gun would be the 57mm with the 76mm extremely rare if at all.

Regards

Walt

OK...I see how there doing things. The 57mm was the more common gun theater wide thus the big difference in rarity and cost. It just struck me as odd to find the 57 as the default gun in those battalions. Also didn't realize that every time you purchased a Tank destroyer ( Towed) battalion you could get a different oob with costs that I have seen running 5100 up to 7406 (11,511 with a full compliment of 76's ). I have had a couple of instances were the page loaded slow or didn't load completely but thats on my system not the game.