Artillery questions.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with CMBN but, from what little that I do have, there appears to be some oddities with artillery.

It seems that most, if not all, platoon HQs have acces to onboard assets, irrespective of their C2 condition. In a recent game, such a unit was over 500m from mortar units, had no sight to them, no radio and had no C2 to any higher HQs but was able to call in fire from them. Is this a hang over from CMSF? Just dosen't seem correct.

By the same token, mortars attached directly to platoon HQs - and deployed - within 50m of them and in sound and sight contact, still take four minutes to start firing, which seems way to slow. Surely they should be able to commence fire in less than a minute.

Overall, the artillery system 'feels' a little too 'modern' for WW2, at the higher command level but too slow at the lower command level.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with CMBN but, from what little that I do have, there appears to be some oddities with artillery.

It seems that most, if not all, platoon HQs have acces to onboard assets, irrespective of their C2 condition. In a recent game, such a unit was over 500m from mortar units, had no sight to them, no radio and had no C2 to any higher HQs but was able to call in fire from them. Is this a hang over from CMSF? Just dosen't seem correct.

By the same token, mortars attached directly to platoon HQs - and deployed - within 50m of them and in sound and sight contact, still take four minutes to start firing, which seems way to slow. Surely they should be able to commence fire in less than a minute.

Overall, the artillery system 'feels' a little too 'modern' for WW2, at the higher command level but too slow at the lower command level.

I have not seen this at all. You're not playing at a lower difficulty level are you? As for the four minutes, the game doesn't take into account the type of communication the mortars. The four minutes can be "explained" by the fact that the spotter needs some time to determine information such as range, location on map, etc... before the mortars can fire. There was a recent thread about this.

Playing at elite level. The spotter is in woods and has no los to any of the six 60mm mortars. It has no C2 connections at any level.

Can you point me to the thread about timing. I still think four minutes for, what is essentially an attatched mortar, is far too long to fire even a spotting round. Seems a pointless exercise attatching it to a platoon, when any platoon or Co. HQ can call on it with the same time delay.

Maybe there is some oddity going on with the C2 system. Another possibility is that you are calling off-board fire support which does not require C2.

A "explanation" for the four minutes is here

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1283038&highlight=azimuth#post1283038

I have no personal experience with this stuff, but 4 minutes does not seem that long. Even in CMSF with all the fancy equipment 3-4 minutes is about as fast as you can call in a mortar strike.

Make of it what you will :).

Playing the "Courage and Fortitude" campaign at the moment, on mission 2, "School of Hard Knocks". I snuck the I Coy XO team forward almost to the bridge while the light was dim, and the mist still sitting, in order to have a look at what defenses they'd positioned forward, and discovered that the team, lacking radio, but having 'distant sight' of their CO could call in Arty... I was somewhat surprised.

It's a known bug. Or at least I assume it's a bug (BFC has never said). Any on board asset with access to a radio can be used by any HQ on the map, regardless of whether that HQ has a radio.