A few quick questions about the training missions.

Got the game a few days ago. Taking it slow. I've only had about an hour of free time each day to play. I'm a long time CMx1 player. I understand that I need to throw out all of those expectations and approach it as a new game so, I'm doing just that. Starting with the training missions.

I'm up to the mission with arty, MG's and tanks.

Two things I noticed. First, I can't seem to get the hang of getting my MG's to deploy and fire on directed targets. I'd hit the / key, but I don't notice anything happening. I was NEVER able to get the MG's to fire on tanks, trenches or whatever. I did notice the carbines & rifles firing though. After taking a closer look, I noticed that the MG's were on the ground, behind the sandbags, even when rotated toward the targets. I thought that the MG's would deploy their guns on the sandbags, but no. I moved the team all around the map and still, the MG's would never fire. What am I missing here?

Second, is there a "Move to Contact" command for tanks/infantry? I utilized this command a LOT in CMx1. What is it's replacement in CM:BN? Hunt?

Last, I noticed that although I would direct my tanks to fire at the PzIV's, they preferred to fire on the Panther. One tank did fire on the PzIV's, for a bit. The other would only fire on the Panther and eventually the second joined in . . . refusing to target the PzIV's. I suppose this might be because the PzIV's were already dead, but there was only one in flames. Nobody chose to shoot at the Tiger. Am I missing something here as well?

I know these answers may be in the manual and yes, I am reading the manual (hard to read that print, but I appreciate the thoroughness of a printed manual). I figured I'd ask the community first though . . . since I had five minutes to post.

Like You said, the MG's need to be deployed first and they need to have a LOF to the target. In CMBN You won't see MG's positioned on the sand bags or edges of trenches, stone walls etc. but that's not an issue. It looks like they are positioned behind this obstacle but they actually can fire and see what's in front of them. Be sure to check if they have a LOF to that specific target. I never had a problem with that and my MG's are shooting at everything they see:)

When using the "hunt" command, the unit will stop when they see an enemy (any enemy and even if the enemy is far, far away and is not a threat). I belive the unit will also stop if fired upon even if they can't see who fired at them. I don't use that command a lot. I find it more annoying than useful. There is no "move to contact" command like it was in CMx1. You need to work around that with what You have.

The tank AI chooses the biggest threat. So even if You target something, it might switch to something else after the first shot (I might be wrong but I think the first shot will always be taken at the target that You ordered. After that the AI may choose sth different to attack). Usually it does a good job in my opinion.

BR and have fun!

Its weird because I never saw/heard my MG's firing . . . and they always had clear targets. The rest of the team fired, but not the MG. I'll play it again tonight & see what happens.

Sounds like "Hunt" works the same as "Move to Contact". "Move to Contact" was/is a very useful command . . . unless you like your troops to "move" right into the teeth of machine gun fire . . . until they're all dead. (I play turn-based, maybe RT is different.)

I think the only way to 'move to contact' is to give your elements lots of short 'Quick' waypoints. Possibly with 5-10s pause orders at each waypoint so they have a good look round and if there are any enemy, get a chance to return fire meaningfully. If you have 1/3 your elements start the turn with a delay, 1/3 with no delay and 1/3 with a longer delay, you can engineer having 1 moving and 2 still at any given time, so you have overwatch but can keep moving.

Actually, "Hunt" in CMBN is pretty much the same as "Move to Contact" in CMx1. Semantics aside, it's the functionality of the old "Hunt" order that's actually missing -- move forward, searching for targets, stop to engage, and start moving again once target(s) are destroyed, or contact is lost.