New mapping tools/utilities possible someday?

I'm no programmer or computer whiz, but I wonder if it would be possible for someone to write a utility program that would take a grayscale JPEG of a certain specific scale and size, then automatically generate a CMBN map file with the standard 8px by 8px tiles -- based on the utility's rough interpretation of the dark and light areas. -- it wouldn't be usable as a finished map, but you'd have the basic land pattern of the road net, towns, field boundaries, etc. in place and at scale. Then all you'd have to do is edit the map to replace the auto-generated tiles with the ones you really want. Another version of it could take a grayscale jpeg of a heightmap, and turn it into all the elevations for a CMBN map if you specified the lowest and highest elevations. Again, you'd want to edit it to get it right, but it would give you the contours and an advanced rough version to start with.

I have earlier suggested that how about if we could get overlay function for map editor. If you have played Matrixgames High way to the Reich (or newer Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge) you know what I mean.

The concept is simple and genius. You can import background picture to map editor. Make sure you choose right pixels to make map right scale. Then simply "over draw" your game map. From experience I can say this works perfectly. Especially making contour lines is much more easier when you have something in background and you simple draw marks to over background map.

The concept is simple and genius. You can import background picture to map editor. Make sure you choose right pixels to make map right scale. Then simply "over draw" your game map. From experience I can say this works perfectly. Especially making contour lines is much more easier when you have something in background and you simple draw marks to over background map.

That would be fantastic.

+1 from me