someone let the smoke out of my Sherman !

ZOR58

I'm still having problems with executing tank tactics after reading several of the fine posts here about it.

I've tried using the Hunt/Reverse move where I come up over the slope in Hunt mode then Reverse back. I always end up reversing before acquiring the target.

I have also used the Fast/Target/Reverse move where you come over the slope in Fast mode after assigning a Target then Reverse back. Again no shot fired.

In both instances I had a flank shot at a Panther but could never get the shot off.

I've tried using Pause to try and come up at the end of the turn.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

i'd be interesting in hearing what some of the other folks have to say about this as well

i've encountered much the same problem trying to execute anything that vaguely resembles intelligent tank tactics (i.e. hull down, cresting a hill for a shot and reversing, setting a pause before cresting the hill then reversing so i supposedly will take a shot at the end of the turn and then move back, and i've tried targeting out of site and moving the tank forward round a bldg or whatever and back expecting it to take a shot) - in just about all of these cases i rarely get what i plan (yes, such is war i know smile.gif )

what i'm usually thinking is that what is described here and what i'm executing are not meshing up

can't count the number of times i've told a tank to crest a hill and pull back thinking it would get a nice fat shot of the side of a panther and found instead that my tank pulled up and then pulled back w/o doing anything other than perhaps shouting to all the world - yo, i'm over here, please come kill me smile.gif

[ December 30, 2002, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

I'm wondering if I'm not coming far enough up the slope to acquire any victims.

The manual says that camera viewpoint 1 is at a man's height so I've been using this view when plotting my moves to make sure that I can see my intended victims.

The Shermans come up to where it looks like I should have a line of site to the target but it always backs away without locking onto any targets.

I then try going farther up the slope but always end up turning the Sherman into a BBQ pit.

Any pointers from the pros?

Thanks.

I've found that the only way to get that particular tactic to work is to leave your tank up for an entire turn and hope it kills it's target before the turn ends. If you can pull it off have it back down the slope at the beginning of the next turn. It's risky I know, but it seems to be the only way to do it.

Although I would hardly consider myself a "pro" at this game I have used the tactic you describe with some degree of success. There are several factors that come into play when using this peek-a-boo tactic. The first is LOS to your intended target. If your tank doesn't have LOS when it crests the hill then it will never be able to acquire the target (this seems pretty obvious). The second factor is whether or not the tank is buttoned (always have it unbuttoned), and the final factor is the quality of the crew (the higher the better). So, a green sherman with a dead tank commander is not the ideal choice to try this tactic with.

The way I do it is to issue a fast move over the top of the hill so that the tank will fully crest it. I also issue a reverse command back down the same line. This should give it enough time to acquire a target and get off one shot providing it is unbuttoned and has a "regular" or above crew. This tactic will help keep your tanks alive but it won't do much to help you destroy the enemy. You usually need several shots from a stationary tank before you get a hit so I use this tactic to harrass the enemy and to distract them. Every now and then I'll get a hit using this tactic but not very often.

I've decided to just move the Sherman up onto the slope whenever I have a flank shot on a Panter and accept the loss of my Sherman as the going exchange rate. Guess I can't have the Panther and my Sherman too!

Now if I could just get the Shermans to stop in hull down positions instead of moving past and farther down the slope!

A few thoughts:

1) It helps to have the intended target already spotted by other units - preferably some infantry that can keep it buttoned and distracted in a different direction.

2) Try to hunt directly towards the target. Tanks seem to spot better in their frontal quadrant, and it saves time on turret traverse.

3) Plot only a hunt move, almost to the crest - not over, but farther that you will need to spot the target. When your tank sees the enemy it will stop and begin firing. This should leave you with a waypoint sitting there that you can drag around behind and change to a reverse if things get ugly. Otherwise you can stay in position to keep pumping the lead. Usually a Sherman will back off on it's own if it comes under fire from a Panther.

4) Finally - if it seems hopeless, find something else to do with that Sherman! Look for a spot where he can pummel enemy infantry without engaging enemy armor, that's what they are good at. If you can keep it alive long enough to fire all your HE at the enemy, you probably stand a good chance of winning the battle.

TT

I'm the attacker.

His Infantry and Tanks are supporting each other so I have to take out his tanks from a distance so that my tanks can pound his Infantry.

My Infantry has line of site to his Tanks as proven by the craters around their positions.

I finally smoked his location with mortars and moved my Shermans up onto the slopes in an attempt to get both hulldown positions(8 of 12 vehicles achieved) and flank shots. Ended up trading 10 Shermans for 3 Panthers and a 88mm AT gun.

My 2 remaining Shermans can now fire at will on the Infantry from a safe distance.

Thanks for your replies.