Diamond MX300 and Blue Screen of Death

Mr Oz

I have a Diamond MX300 soundcard using the w9x2048 Aureal reference drivers (These are h latest). I am constantly getting the Blue screen of Death caused by the AU30core(01) vxd.

I gave tried disabling A3D, disabling hardware acceleration and verified that IRQ steering is on, but I keep getting the BSOD.

I'm running a PIII 500 with 128 meg ram.

Any ideas or suggestions from other MX300 owners?

To be fair this also happens in some other games but it is most consistant in CM.

If I can't figure this out I'll be looking at a replacing sound cards.

------------------

"Bother", said Pooh, as he shoved in a fresh magazine!

Does your MX300 have its own IRQ or is it sharing it with another device, especially the video card (I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "IRQ Steering On") ?

Unfortunately a number of users on this forum have had problems with the Aureal-based sound cards.

Do you play any other DirectX games ? Do you have any BSOD's with them or is it just while playing CM ? You may want to disable the "ambient" sounds in CM to see if this helps with your BSOD's.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Does your MX300 have its own IRQ or is it sharing it with another device, especially the video card (I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "IRQ Steering On") ?

I found this on the 3Dsoundsurge site:

If you have experienced a problem with the Vortex 2 2040 drivers causing blue screens in VXD AU30CORE(01), we have a fix thanks to a post from someone who fixed the problem on their system:

"For the people having the au30core.vxd error, I have solved the problem. Some how during the installation of the drivers my irq steering was disabled. I enabled it again and i havent had a problem at all, everything is working great."

Several readers have asked us to explain just exactly what this fix involves.

Step 1: Go to your Windows Control Panel and select "System"

Step 2: From inside System Properties select the "Device Manager" tab and open "System Devices"

Step 3: Once in System Devices Select "PCI bus"

Step 4: From inside PCI Bus select the "IRQ Steering" tab and make sure that "Use IRQ Steering" is selected, then select ok and restart your system.

Unfortunately a number of users on this forum have had problems with the Aureal-based sound cards.

Do you play any other DirectX games ? Do you have any BSOD's with them or is it just while playing CM ? You may want to disable the "ambient" sounds in CM to see if this helps with your BSOD's.

Yes, I play other DirectX games and get the BSOD on them too, It just seems to happen more often with CM.

I decided to drop the Aureal Reference Drivers and reinstall the Diamond Rel102 drivers. I haven't had a problem since. It seem the problem was the Aureal Reference drivers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

---------------------------------------------

"Bother", said Pooh, as he shoved in a fresh magazine!

[This message has been edited by Mr Oz (edited 02-10-2001).]